• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ed's snub to self employed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ed's snub to self employed

Ed's snub to self-employed: Miliband refused to send special election message in magazine for people who work for themselves (the only party leader not to)* | Daily Mail Online

I'm not as anti-labour as many on here, but the blank page really is a nice touch. For those who haven't seen the magazine, the page says

Despite repeated requests, Labour Leader Ed Miliband decided not to take up IPSE’s offer to outline his views on the UK’s 4.5 million self-employed.
    In the Labour Party’s recent document A Better Plan for Britain’s Prosperity, Ed Miliband restricted his party’s thoughts on this growing and influential community to 17 words:

“The rise of self-employment could in part be evidence of growing insecurity in the labour market”
    A Better Plan for Britain’s Prosperity

As an apolitical organisation, IPSE was keen to offer a platform to all the main political party leaders

If you want to read what the other parties say, the magazine can be found at https://www.ipse.co.uk/ipse-mag - I think it's available to non-members.

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Ed's snub to self-employed: Miliband refused to send special election message in magazine for people who work for themselves (the only party leader not to)* | Daily Mail Online

I'm not as anti-labour as many on here, but the blank page really is a nice touch. For those who haven't seen the magazine, the page says

Despite repeated requests, Labour Leader Ed Miliband decided not to take up IPSE’s offer to outline his views on the UK’s 4.5 million self-employed.
    In the Labour Party’s recent document A Better Plan for Britain’s Prosperity, Ed Miliband restricted his party’s thoughts on this growing and influential community to 17 words:

“The rise of self-employment could in part be evidence of growing insecurity in the labour market”
    A Better Plan for Britain’s Prosperity

As an apolitical organisation, IPSE was keen to offer a platform to all the main political party leaders

If you want to read what the other parties say, the magazine can be found at https://www.ipse.co.uk/ipse-mag - I think it's available to non-members.
    Thanks MS.

I'll save the magazine to wave under the noses of Labour door-knockers over the next few weeks (before closing the door on their faces).
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Sure, it was stupid that they didn't provide something. I also think IPSE did a good job of putting this together. On the other hand, it's fairly easy to dismiss IPSE as unrepresentative of the self-employed, based on current membership, and they should expect their assertions of being apolitical to be questioned robustly. My impression (and it's just an impression, rather than a carefully researched analysis) is that they're quite keen to align with Tory policies, which I'm sure they'd argue is policy-based. An appearance in the Fail doesn't help the cause though As a lobbying organisation, about to be faced with the reality of a Labour gov't, it arguably makes sense to downplay the disappointment here; leaving readers "to make your own judgment" probably isn't that helpful. Anyway, credit where it's due on securing the publicity, and I hope they're ready for the scrutiny and the negative press that will inevitably come with it.

Comment

Business Matters Magazine has the same text - Miliband shows contempt for self-employed with lack of election message - Business Matters
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Sure, it was stupid that they didn't provide something. I also think IPSE did a good job of putting this together. On the other hand, it's fairly easy to dismiss IPSE as unrepresentative of the self-employed, based on current membership, and they should expect their assertions of being apolitical to be questioned robustly. My impression (and it's just an impression, rather than a carefully researched analysis) is that they're quite keen to align with Tory policies, which I'm sure they'd argue is policy-based. An appearance in the Fail doesn't help the cause though As a lobbying organisation, about to be faced with the reality of a Labour gov't, it arguably makes sense to downplay the disappointment here; leaving readers "to make your own judgment" probably isn't that helpful. Anyway, credit where it's due on securing the publicity, and I hope they're ready for the scrutiny and the negative press that will inevitably come with it.
          Really? You could equally say "about to be faced with the reality of a Tory gov't,"

That's why it's all so exciting.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Anyone voting Labour or SNP needs their ******* heads examined.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Sure, it was stupid that they didn't provide something. I also think IPSE did a good job of putting this together. On the other hand, it's fairly easy to dismiss IPSE as unrepresentative of the self-employed, based on current membership, and they should expect their assertions of being apolitical to be questioned robustly.
              Excpet they aren't, they are consulted by HMG on a whole range of relevant things...

My impression (and it's just an impression, rather than a carefully researched analysis) is that they're quite keen to align with Tory policies, which I'm sure they'd argue is policy-based.
              If they were openly party political, as with any lobbying group, they wouldn't be listened to at all.

An appearance in the Fail doesn't help the cause though As a lobbying organisation, about to be faced with the reality of a Labour gov't, it arguably makes sense to downplay the disappointment here; leaving readers "to make your own judgment" probably isn't that helpful. Anyway, credit where it's due on securing the publicity, and I hope they're ready for the scrutiny and the negative press that will inevitably come with it.
              Bring it on. The Labour and related parties' () policies are intended wipe our industry completely and force you into some kind of employment straitjacket, even ignoring the probably financial damage they will impose on UK PLC.

As for IPSe not being representative - nobody else is saying diddly squat. How many paid up members they have is irrelevant; at least they are standing up and shouting. And being heard...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Labour are the only party who will make Britain a fairer place to live.

Remember the tories have not won a majority at a general election for over 20 years.

Come on Ed, make Britain an great place again

Comment

Originally posted by MercladUK View Post

Remember the tories have not won a majority at a general election for over 20 years.

Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by MercladUK View Post

Election 2015: Labour to raise £7.5bn from tax avoiders - BBC News

Unless you're a dirty, stinking tax avoider that it...

Comment

Working...
                    X