• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BT copper wire vs Virgin Media too good to be true 150MB

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BT copper wire vs Virgin Media too good to be true 150MB

I'm moving house and just found out that BT Infinity is not available. They are saying up to 15MB, but I'm wondering if that is hopeful over copper wire.

Having suffered over utilisation problems and frequent disconnects with Virgin Media in the past, I'm loathe to go with them, even though they are offering speeds up to 150 MB.

Last time I used them, I ended up buying a 3G failover router because their service was so appalling. They kept upping my speed, but the service still kept going down for days at a time.

For my day trading, I need a fast download and upload, rock solid connection, no over-utilisation, quick ping, etc.
    What says the forum?
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    I'm moving house and just found out that BT Infinity is not available. They are saying up to 15MB, but I'm wondering if that is hopeful over copper wire.

Having suffered over utilisation problems and frequent disconnects with Virgin Media in the past, I'm loathe to go with them, even though they are offering speeds up to 150 MB.

Last time I used them, I ended up buying a 3G failover router because their service was so appalling. They kept upping my speed, but the service still kept going down for days at a time.

For my day trading, I need a fast download and upload, rock solid connection, no over-utilisation, quick ping, etc.
    What says the forum?
    Copper from the exchange? Or copper from the cabinet? 15 is very doable if you;re not too far from the cabinet - assuming it;s fibre from the exchange to that cabinet (and you pay for that fibre to cabinet).

Comment

Get a 'business' broadband connection over copper. You should get 15Mb down and iirc 1Mb up plus much lower contention ratios. It worked a treat for me for years until infinity came along. You get better Qos if you choose one of the smaller providers and again iirc you can get a one month rolling contract in case it doesn't work out. Look at coms.com

Comment

I get 10/1 when I just tested, it has been closer to 20 in the past. Quite fast enough if you don't want to download video IMO.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

15Mb over copper to exchange? Good luck with that one.
          I went from 1Mb until they installed FTTC - now I've got 40Mb. Very reliable.

A cautionary tale. I got some company in who did grants via welsh government for sort of microwave line. Aerial on house etc. paid for by government etc. £20 for guaranteed 5Mb or something.

First two weekends not working. So I kicked off - then they said but we dont work weekends. F off then no good to me.

Funny thing is they were coining it. £1000 installtion fee for a small aerial and a £10 router and the government were paying it for the householder. Nice work.

I told them to come and get their stuff they never did. They werent happy when I refused to sign the grant form for them to get their £1000 either.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I had 18mb copper to exchange with Be on ADSL2 - no problem.

Have BT Infinity - great, my brother has Virgin Fibre at home - utter pants, the house where I stay mid-week has Virgin Fibre - utter pants.

Here in Leeds council business scheme thing are offering 100mb both ways un-contended for £250 a mo - no setup - tempting!!

Comment

My ADSL would connect at 20Mb (to the exchange), which in reality gave you about 16-18Mb on the speed tests. Now it does 80Mb over copper wire (to the cabinet). Both were more than fast enough for anything I wanted to do; I only really notice the difference in upload speed.

Heard lots of good and bad things about Virgin but never lived anywhere where I could have it.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Speedtest on Virgin has just given me 156.11 Mbps download and 11.25 Mbps upload.

But as with any ISP, that's going to fluctuate a fair bit.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Speedtest on Virgin has just given me 156.11 Mbps download and 11.25 Mbps upload.

But as with any ISP, that's going to fluctuate a fair bit.
                  The Virgin fibre where I stay always reports dead on 50mb with speed test. Still can't stream anything reliably on it at any time and before 19:00 forget totally.

Comment

As you have said it depends on the local load. Our Virgin Media infrastructure has been upgraded and 150MB is available even at most peak times. It's worth checking twitter/Neighbours to see if they have any complaints. Prior to that peak time was awful.
                    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Working...
                    X