• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FAO All Spelling & Grammar Pendants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FAO All Spelling & Grammar Pendants

Is "solutioning" a valid word

For example

"....has identified resources for some solutioning activities also"
    In respect to creating architectural solutions
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

That usage is using the present participle of a verb as an adjective, but "solution" is only a noun, not a verb. So no.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

For example

There is no verb form of solution, so no, it is not valid.

Comment

To solution - to find solutions to a problem

I solution
        You solution
        He/she/it solutions
        We solution
        They solution
        I solutioned...
        I have solutioned...
        I had solutioned...
        I will solution...
        I will have solutioned...
        If I were to solution...

I can't think of just a single word that encompasses the meaning. So it's workable as a neologism.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          I can't think of just a single word that encompasses the meaning. So it's workable as a neologism.
          I can't think of a single word that encompasses the meaning of "I drove him there in a car". If I start saying "I carred him" people may object to that also. In your list, what is wrong with the verb "to solve"? Because it doesn't explicitly reference "to a problem"?

I recognise that "solutions" have a slightly different meaning to simply "answers to problems", but I would go with "to build/provide solutions" instead.

Part of business communication should surely be clarity?

Comment

"Pedants" FFS ...........
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

For example

It might be a valid word for a chemist with an aversion to the word "dissolving". But that's about it.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                I asked in H. Samuels but they didn't have any grammar pendants

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                  Shirley, you do irony don't you?

And the proper term is 'solutionisationaling'

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                    ...what is wrong with the verb "to solve"? Because it doesn't explicitly reference "to a problem"?...
                    Solving a problem is not the same as finding various solutions to a problem. The meaning seems quite clear to me. There's plenty of other words that are nouns and verbs. Partition/making a partition/partitioning. Condition/improving condition/conditioning. Mention/making a mention/mentioning. So why not Solution/finding a solution/solutioning?

New words are coined all the time. Some gain currency and become part of the language. Some don't. Why get worked up about it?

I like the adjective "performant" meaning "high performing" or "performing well". It's part of German, but not officially (yet) part of English - but it's useful and people, even non-German speakers, understand it.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X