• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Enquiry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency Enquiry

I've recently received an email from my agency asking for my address and NI number and saying:

"As part of new legislation introduced by HMRC under the Finance Act 2014, we are now required to provide reports on information about our workers directly to HMRC on a quarterly basis"

Anyone else had anything like this or know what it's about?

Originally posted by MarkM2 View Post
    I've recently received an email from my agency asking for my address and NI number and saying:

"As part of new legislation introduced by HMRC under the Finance Act 2014, we are now required to provide reports on information about our workers directly to HMRC on a quarterly basis"

Anyone else had anything like this or know what it's about?
    There are a few threads asking the same question on here. The Act does require agencies to supply the information requested plus stuff they will already have, along with payment amount. I believe they have to report quarterly.

Comment

All agencies now have an obligation to report to HMRC details of any worker that is not paid through their own PAYE Onshore intermediary reporting rules turn us into HMRC's informants or targets :: Contractor UK whether umbrella or PSC
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

MarkM2,

Yes, during 2014 the Government introduced new legislation that extended the scope of existing laws as part of its anti-tax avoidance strategy; and is commonly referred to as the Employment Intermediaries legislation. The new rules come into effect on 6 April 2015.

The legislation targets those who are claiming false self-employment to avoid employment taxes and employers or employment businesses that are forcing vulnerable workers into self-employed working models to reduce their exposure to employment law and employers NI.

The new law has only a very limited effect on most contractors working through their own limited company. In most cases the only effect will be that agencies will request personal details from you. The only details they should ask for are:

1. Full Name
        2. Residential Address and Postcode
        3. NI Number (or Date of Birth and Gender)

If you are asked for this information, the agency is legally expected to obtain and report those facts to HMRC, and you should therefore provide it. If the agency asks for additional information they are not required to do so and you can decline to provide it.

Comment

Working...
        X