• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving Licence Changes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving Licence Changes

I knew from June the paper counter part was being phased out, but didn't know about this...

Motorists warned about problems hiring cars abroad - BBC News
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I knew from June the paper counter part was being phased out, but didn't know about this...

Motorists warned about problems hiring cars abroad - BBC News
    I haven't been asked for the paper bit when hiring a car abroad for at least 5 years.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

hmm I have just returned from the states and as I checked in to pick up my car online and entered my driving licence number I did not even need to show them my licence - just the printed off sheet I got when I checked in...

had I been in an accident however not sure whether I would have needed the paper counterpart then...

which may be where the problems begin!

Comment

Seems weird. My Swiss driving licence follows the normal European format, with no "paper counterpart", and hence no list of any violations. In fact, that information is kept entirely separate - there's no point system, just a record kept of any serious violations you perpetrate (marginal speeding isn't recorded). Why should UK drivers be singled out and have to provide a "code"?
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Why should UK drivers be singled out and have to provide a "code"?
          Because before long there will be a cost involved with obtaining said code??

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I was done for speeding in France the other week. I was always told you need to carry both parts of your licence, as well as the car registration and insurance whilst abroad, though I'm sure I've forgotten on more than one trip. This trip I did remember, but all he asked for was the car registration and my card licence and wasn't interested in the rest.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Seems weird. My Swiss driving licence follows the normal European format, with no "paper counterpart", and hence no list of any violations. In fact, that information is kept entirely separate - there's no point system, just a record kept of any serious violations you perpetrate (marginal speeding isn't recorded). Why should UK drivers be singled out and have to provide a "code"?
              No idea and quite possibly the car hire companies in Europe scratch their heads when they hear about this stuff. You would have thought that there would be a Europe wide approach since they issue a standardised plastic bit, clearly that's too sensible.

I admit that I didn't know about the scrapping of the paper counterpart, I guess I missed it being in the news.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                I was done for speeding in France the other week. I was always told you need to carry both parts of your licence, as well as the car registration and insurance whilst abroad, though I'm sure I've forgotten on more than one trip. This trip I did remember, but all he asked for was the car registration and my card licence and wasn't interested in the rest.
                And 100 euros in a brown paper bag surely?

Comment

I only have a paper licence
                  Join IPSE

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    And 100 euros in a brown paper bag surely?
                    90 Euros, and it was lucky I had that as staying with family means I don't bother taking much cash.

What pissed me off the most about it was that he spoke to me in English.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X