• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU nations clash over immigration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU nations clash over immigration

Africans are making treacherous sea journeys to reach Europe
    EU ministers have expressed sharp differences over how to deal with an influx of illegal immigrants to Europe.
    At talks in Finland, Spain's justice minister called for help to deal with the surge of mainly African migrants arriving in Spain's Canary Islands.

But Germany's interior minister said Madrid should not be calling for other people's money.

And Austria criticised Spain's decision to grant amnesty to some 500,000 undocumented foreigners in 2005.

About 24,000 illegal migrants have made the often perilous sea crossing from West Africa to the Canary Islands in the Atlantic this year.

Up to 3,000 of them are believed to have died during the journey.

'Wrong signal'

At the meeting in the Finnish city of Tampere, Spain made a fresh appeal for help, after repeatedly stating that it was unable to cope with the influx.

"These people coming from the African continent are knocking on the door of the whole of the European Union - we just happen to be closest border country towards the African continent," Spanish Justice Minister Juan Fernando Lopez Aguilar said.

Spain also said it wanted better organisation of Frontex, the hurriedly created EU border patrol force that operates in the Mediterranean, the BBC's Jonny Dymond in Tampere says.

In response, German Interior Minister Wolfgang Schauble said Madrid "must stop asking for the money of others".

He pointed out that Berlin had carried a similar problem for many years.

Austrian Justice Minister Karin Gastinger said Spain had sent "the wrong signal" by legalising the status of at least 500,000 illegal workers last year.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

What the Spanish could have done of course is use some of their ships to ferry the illegals back to their homelands. Unfortunately their ships are all tied up hoovering all the fish from British waters and elsewhere. I've got no sympathy for the Spanish, they stick two fingers up to the EU when it suits them to, and they come crying for EU cash when they've got a problem mostly of their own making.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Illegal immigrants should be deported back from whence they came - it isn't rocket science.

The alternative is and always will be, utter chaos.

Comment

I think they should just make the sea journeys more dangerous.
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
          I think they should just make the sea journeys more dangerous.
          Mine the Meditranean Sea?
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Immigrants

Originally posted by BobTheCrate
            Illegal immigrants should be deported back from whence they came - it isn't rocket science.

The alternative is and always will be, utter chaos.
            Thats the problem.... they dont know where they come from becuase they have no id and often will not divulge their nationality, which I understand is their right under EU immigration laws

They can dump them in morrocco/algeria but thats not going to help becuase they will just come back and fuel the trade in illegal traffiking.

Not an easy situation, and until African economic prospects are improved not likely to improve.
            There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Then the only alternative is to say that there is a war going on and any vessel found in the war zone will be elimated.

I think soon the message will "sink" in.

A. Dick Tator
              If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Tomorrow I will finish development of a force shield that will prevent any unauthorised persons getting through onto EU territory - and after lunch I will work on something more challenging.

threaded

Comment

Goebbels?
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan
                    They can dump them in morrocco/algeria but thats not going to help becuase they will just come back and fuel the trade in illegal traffiking.
                    It probably would help, because these illegal immigrants have to pay a lot (by their standards) to get a place on a boat, and they couldn't _keep_ paying, and wouldn't want to anyway if they were fairly certain to end up penniless back where they started (or in some sh*thole of a nearby country even worse than their own).
                    Last edited by Nipple Clamp; 23 September 2006, 20:35.

Comment

Working...
                    X