• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency request for NI number - for a report going to HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency request for NI number - for a report going to HMRC

Just had a strange email from my agency requesting NI number.... along the lines of ...

'we need this as HMRC now require us (as of 6th Apr) to supply NI for all ltd company contractors - they want a report in the next few weeks.'

Anyone else had this?

Originally posted by Glasgow BA View Post
    Just had a strange email from my agency requesting NI number.... along the lines of ...

'we need this as HMRC now require us (as of 6th Apr) to supply NI for all ltd company contractors - they want a report in the next few weeks.'

Anyone else had this?
    Paging NLUK...

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
      Paging NLUK...
      Damn. If only there was a search function!!

Comment

My favourite subject at the moment, Employment Intermediaries Legislation came into effect on 6 April 2015.

You should see numerous posts about this on CUK...

Make sure you only give the necessary information, such as full name, address and NI number. No need to provide all the details on yourself and/or your company.

Comment

Just typing 6th April HMRC into Google get's your answer without knowing the details. 1/10 for effort.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes, new reporting requirements came into place on 6th April

The consensus is that you have to comply.

More advice here

https://www.ipse.co.uk/guides/new-re...ments-agencies

Comment

Hi, I've just been asked to provide NI to agency. Digging on HMRC legislation I found this: EMS2042.

The interesting part: [...] UK agencies supplying workers directly to a client on a self-employed basis must have in their power or possession satisfactory evidence to demonstrate the worker is not subject to (or to the right of) supervision, direction, or control [...]

If the agency is unable to produce satisfactory evidence when requested by HMRC, then HMRC may recover from the agency the income tax and NICs due from the worker’s remuneration.

So it seems that the contractor's resposibility to provide evidence of control due to IR35 has now shifted to agencies, and that they need to pay tax and NIC if they don't have such evidence?

Regards
              fh

Comment

I'd provide you NI number as requested as explained in this thread and park the digging....

Hint. We are not self employed.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 21 May 2015, 11:35.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I'd provide you NI number as requested as explained in this thread and park the digging....

Hint. We are not self employed.
                  Even though the banks and insurance companies chose to call us Self Employed when they apply their internal rules.

It's true that in reality it's a pedantic point that we aren't self employed in a traditional sense, but as far as a lot of people are concerned we are.

Of course HMRC prefer to blur the lines too when they can.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    Even though the banks and insurance companies chose to call us Self Employed when they apply their internal rules.

It's true that in reality it's a pedantic point that we aren't self employed in a traditional sense, but as far as a lot of people are concerned we are.

Of course HMRC prefer to blur the lines too when they can.
                    I guess so but when it comes to particular legislation as this it's pretty black and white.... Isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                    X