• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Party Life in Tehran

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Party Life in Tehran

By this account seems like you can have quite a bit of fun there, well at least until the bombs start to drop I guess ...

... a recent trip home to Tehran I was invited to a birthday party. When I arrived I found the 70 or so guests wearing fancy dress and dancing to the latest Western pop music.

The party goers were all young and from well-to-do families. One was dressed as Tarzan, another as a pilot from the film "Top Gun".

Assorted "ayatollahs" and "mullahs" were whirling drunkenly under the strobe lights. A girl in a black chador, flung it off to reveal a skin-tight Cat Woman costume underneath.

In the middle of the fray, a waiter with a bow tie was trying to manoeuvre through the crowd, balancing a tray filled with glasses of wine, gin, vodka and whisky.

The partygoers seemed not just to be defying the authorities, but actively poking fun at them.

Drugs and alcohol

Iran is a young country. Sixty per cent of the population are under 35. Most can barely remember the revolution, yet alone what life was like under the Shah.

Alcohol is smuggled into Iran and available on the black market
    They've grown up in a country full of oppressive laws governing every aspect of life. But as I saw at the fancy dress party, they've become experts at finding ways to subvert and push back the rules.

Under Islamic law, it's forbidden for people of the opposite sex to be seen together either in public or at parties, unless they are related.

In the early days after the revolution this was strictly enforced by the revolutionary guards. But not anymore. Boys and girls now openly walk hand in hand through the streets.

Dress codes are also no longer rigorously enforced. Young girls have exchanged their shapeless black chadors, for short, tight coats with jeans and platform shoes.

Despite the ban on alcohol, homemade wine, smuggled beer and spirits are now widely available.

So are drugs. Not just heroin smuggled in from neighbouring Afghanistan, but designer drugs like ecstasy and cocaine.

If you have money in Tehran these days, it seems that anything is possible.

'Lose Yourself'

Six years ago, when President Khatami swept to power in a landslide victory, it was thanks largely to the support of the nation's youth.

Black chadors have been swapped for tightly-fitting coats
    But their hopes for reform have been dashed and there's now a widespread feeling of disillusionment. Young Iranians no longer believe in politics.

In fact you sometimes get the feeling they no longer believe in anything except having fun and trying not to think about tomorrow.

The Tehran fancy dress party was taking place against a background of one of the worst political crises in Iran in the past 20 years.

The hardliners had just banned hundreds of reformist MPs from taking part in the forthcoming parliamentary election. I asked one party-goer what he thought about it all.

"Actually I'm more interested in trying to remember the words to Eminem's latest song," he said, and launched into an impromptu version of "Lose Yourself".

At that moment there was a knock on the door. It was the Revolutionary Guards, wanting to know why there were so many cars in the street.

I was terrified, but needn't have worried. One of the party guests, dressed as a mullah, told them it was a religious gathering and slipped them some money to leave us alone.

They did, but as the party continued I wondered what it said about the state of the revolution. Who was the more cynical - the Islamic vigilantes who took the money, or the fancy dress cleric who offered it

Sounds like a great place.

I hope Britain becomes like that when it becomes a Muslim state in a few years time.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

One of life's great mysteries Alf, is why Persian women are so attractive when young, yet so unatttractive when older? Enough to turn one into a battyman.

Comment

Originally posted by roger rabbit
        One of life's great mysteries Alf, is why Persian women are so attractive when young, yet so unatttractive when older? Enough to turn one into a battyman.
        The same could be said of the Italians. And the Spanish. And the Greeks. Pretty well everyone actually.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

English girls are at least consistent. They start ugly and they stay ugly.
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by roger rabbit
            Enough to turn one into a battyman.
            I sympathise. Perhaps it's not permanent?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Please can you supply the address of the part in case I happen to be passing.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
                The same could be said of the Italians. And the Spanish. And the Greeks. Pretty well everyone actually.
                V is right, it is the variation that is strange. They go from so attractive to so ugly, rather than ours where the variation is smaller.

Comment

My €.02 worth is that in these countries they don't expect to ever be divorced, and so they stop caring once they have hooked a hubby and start trying to compete with Threaded for the pies.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Really?

The "I divorce thee, I divorce thee, I divorce thee" thingy doesn't work for fat wives?
                    Many moons ago when I was a toddler, my parents worked in Iran. It was during the days of the Shah, and that divorce you x3 thing was apparently used by clients of "fallen women". They would marry her, shag her and then divorce her. However, *REAL* marriages required dowries being paid and family shame if the marriage failed. These ones were for life while the others were there to compensate for what fate/your parents had chosen for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X