• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chillies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chillies

This has been bothering me for a while.

How do Thai, Chinese and Indian restaurants who cook with chillies maintain the consistency of heat for each dish so it's the same level of spiciness every time?

For example. I get a packet of red chillies from Waitrose and one week they are hotter than tulip, the next week they are Ice Station Zebra. I've even grown my own with the same results; no consistency.

How do the professionals manage to make a Jalfrezi at the same temperature week in week out? Buggered if I know.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post

How do Thai, Chinese and Indian restaurants who cook with chillies maintain the consistency of heat for each dish so it's the same level of spiciness every time?

For example. I get a packet of red chillies from Waitrose and one week they are hotter than tulip, the next week they are Ice Station Zebra. I've even grown my own with the same results; no consistency.

How do the professionals manage to make a Jalfrezi at the same temperature week in week out? Buggered if I know.
    Probably because they make it in massive batches, so it averages out.

Comment

My Indian tends to be a bit inconsistent. Had a madras during the week which knocked by socks off. Last week was quite mild.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        My Indian tends to be a bit inconsistent. Had a madras during the week which knocked by socks off. Last week was quite mild.
        Different chefs?

My local takeway has at least 2 chefs.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Possibly by tasting it during cooking and adjusting quantities accordingly?

Comment

Might be the case that they don't actually use fresh chillies at all, but use chilli powder instead in varying teaspoon quantities as per the requirements of a particular dish, e.g. 1 tsp for korma, 3 for madras/jalfrezi, 6 for vindaloo, etc., as per the recipe. If the chef doesn't follow the recipe then this might be the reason for the variations which some people have mentioned. He might sling 4 in for a vindaloo which would then make it less hot, and substandard.

Personally, I'm now at the stage where I use scotch bonnet/caribbean chillies which seem reasonably consistent as far as 'heat' is concerned. I buy several packs at a time from an Asian on-line outlet and freeze them. These Asian outlets are the best places to get them from, not the likes of Sainsbury's, et al.
            Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post

Personally, I'm now at the stage where I use scotch bonnet/caribbean chillies which seem reasonably consistent as far as 'heat' is concerned. I buy several packs at a time from an Asian on-line outlet and freeze them. These Asian outlets are the best places to get them from, not the likes of Sainsbury's, et al.
              +1. Pick up a bag full and freeze them. I reckon they do lose some of the heat after being frozen for a while.

Comment

For example. I get a packet of red chillies from Waitrose and one week they are hotter than tulip, the next week they are Ice Station Zebra.
                I've noticed this too.

Comment

Working...
                X