• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Australian Point System for Immigration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian Point System for Immigration

Apparently, note the use of the word 'apparently', 70% of British people are in favour of an Australian Point System for immigration. I wonder if these 70% actually know what it entails and I suspect that 90% of them wouldn't pass it anyway

Australia Skilled Immigration Points Calculator

I did it and apart from one No answer I got:

Sorry

Unfortunately you do not meet basic requirements for immigration to Australia under skilled immigrant category.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Presumably because you're too old(?) It's harsh in that sense, I suppose, but age is an important factor in countries with ageing populations.

Comment

Skippy

What's that Skippy ?
      The Poms have open-door immigration?
      *sniff* *sniff* Yeah?
      Doesn't that shaft the life chances of the next generation?
      *sniff* *sniff* *twitch with paws* Yeah?
      What's wrong with the POMS Skippy?
      *twitch with paws* They just don't give a XXXX for the youth
      Whadya reckon?
      *sniff* *sniff* *twitch with paws* If the feckin' POMS had any sense they'd vote UKIP

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Apparently, note the use of the word 'apparently', 70% of British people are in favour of an Australian Point System for immigration. I wonder if these 70% actually know what it entails and I suspect that 90% of them wouldn't pass it anyway
        I pass then again I've been happy to use my EU freedom of movement privileges, and an EEA country has also been happy to have me....

Generally the people who complain about "immigrants" taking their jobs don't realise a lot of the "immigrants" they are complaining about would still be able to get into the UK either through their qualifications, experience or the criteria will be changed to meet business need. So while it may keep out Roma it wouldn't keep out your "average" Pole, Romanian, Bulgarian etc
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

UK already has a points based system for most immigration routes.

Comment

I pass as well. So assuming you put 'English' was not your first language I'm surprised why you got a no.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Presumably because you're too old(?) It's harsh in that sense, I suppose, but age is an important factor in countries with ageing populations.
              Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              I pass as well. So assuming you put 'English' was not your first language I'm surprised why you got a no.
              The above is, sadly, the correct answer. Mind you, who wants to emigrate to a country where it seems that 90% of the wildlife is going to kill you
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                UK already has a points based system for most immigration routes.

Comment

We are a much more crowded country and controls need to be stronger than the Australian system.

Bit of basic maths - you don't increase any average by adding more of average quality. Migrants increase GDP but if they increase population by the same or greater amount nobody is any better off and we just have more problems with supply of housing, schools etc. I would doubt that anyone with earnings potential of less than £40k helps us at all.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

Australia Skilled Immigration Points Calculator

I did it and apart from one No answer I got:
                    The Australian system obviously has a built in "twatometer" lets have it here!
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X