• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Minibonds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minibonds

A savings bond in rugby club Wasps pays 6.5%... just don't get stung | Daily Mail Online

I'm seeing more and more of these retail bonds coming up recently. Been one about solar power recently. Tesco did one last year etc and more around.

They offer high interest and your capital is at risk, but does anyone know what the actual returns have been on these over the years? How many fail, how many pay?

Anyone taken any up?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    A savings bond in rugby club Wasps pays 6.5%... just don't get stung | Daily Mail Online

I'm seeing more and more of these retail bonds coming up recently. Been one about solar power recently. Tesco did one last year etc and more around.

They offer high interest and your capital is at risk, but does anyone know what the actual returns have been on these over the years? How many fail, how many pay?

Anyone taken any up?
    The rate is far to low for such a risk, should be more like 12%, better buying Greek bonds.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
      The rate is far to low for such a risk, should be more like 12%, better buying Greek bonds.
      ^ This

Retail clients don't seem to understand the concept of risk adjusted return.

Lots of these are going to go pop after Labour take control of the economy, losing all the investors money.

I'd rather put all my money into Greek bonds, at least the yield on those represents the risks involved.

Comment

I'm signing up for a few k in the innis and gunn beer bond...

but its a product I happily drink so can accept the risk...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I guess Millibonds are some kind of investment in Labour.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            I guess Millibonds are some kind of investment in Labour.

That could never end well.

Comment

The Wasp offer isn't a mini bond in the accepted sense because it will be listed. The listing and trading on Orb carries with it a higher level of regulation that doesn't apply to mini bonds.

That's not to say it's safe, just that Orb offerings and mini bonds are two different things.

Comment

I would have thought to be safe you would need a basket of bonds?

What exactly is the difference between a bond and a minibond?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

About 30 years.

What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Retail bonds come in two main flavours – tradeable ones, like the Wasps deal, and riskier unlisted ‘mini-bonds’ bought direct from the issuing company. These latter bonds offer even higher returns but must be held to maturity.

Comment

Working...
                    X