• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

48 ways permies can be as wealthy as contractors (pt2)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

48 ways permies can be as wealthy as contractors (pt2)

23. Don't pay full price for theatre or theme park tickets
    If you are prepared to tolerate the unwieldy website and hit-and-miss customer service, lastminute.com regularly boasts some amazing deals for London's theatres and the nation's theme parks. At the time of writing you can see top West End show The Producers plus a two-course meal for less than £20 a head, a saving of £60 per person, and tickets for Chessington World of Adventures cost from £12, a saving of nearly £50 for a day out for a family of four.
    Saving: £100s
    Link: www.lastminute.com

24. Beat the ticket touts
    Ticket touts earn their living by getting hold of tickets that are 'otherwise unavailable'. Well, here's the news: they are available to everyone when they first go on sale. You just need to know when they go on sale. Simply sign up to for the free ticket alert newsletters from the main agents to ensure that you're first in the queue.
    Links: Ticketline; Ticketmaster

25. Stop trying to keep up with the Joneses
    Trying to keep up appearances is little more than a costly illness. Remember, you cannot judge someone by what they have because you don't know how they got it. Chances are they're in more debt than you are.
    Saving: £1,000s
    Link: This is Money's guide to getting out of debt

26. Trade down your car
    So, you bought an American sports utility vehicle (SUV) that nets 15 miles to the gallon on a whim. Obviously we're all very impressed – especially by the personalised number plate. But can you honestly justify the ongoing expense? If not, get rid of it. Then visit a car supermarket, where you can choose from thousands of cars at knock-down prices. If you're a true money saver, consider an ex-rental model which you can pick up for a fraction of the cost of a new one.
    Saving: £1,000s
    Links: Daily Mail find a car service; Cargiant

27. Ask yourself: do I really need this?
    Imagine the scenario. It's lunchtime and you've got an hour to kill. You find yourself in a department store and there's a sale on. You pick up a beautifully packaged selection of barbecue tools and associated garden paraphernalia. And it's half price. Now, stop! Ask yourself: Do I really need this? Exactly. Now, put it down and walk away.
    Saving: £100
    Link: This is Money's money savers' guides

28. Walk/cycle to the station/work
    It maybe a bit of hippie notion to many people but it's free.
    Link: Cycle Campaign Network

29. Get off the station before your usual stop and walk
    We may be creatures of habit but isn't it worth tinkering with the routine if it's costing more than £50 a month in unnecessary fares?
    Link: Living Streets

30. Cut down your drinking
    A few beers after work a few nights a week is a financially debilitating state of affairs. Set limits and stick to them.
    Link: Calculator: Pleasures v treasures

31. Pack up smoking
    Never mind the health implications, the guilt and the smell, your 20-a-day habit is costing you nearly £2,000 a year. Pack it in.
    Saving: Nearly £2,000
    Link: Givingupsmoking.co.uk

32. Cancel your gym membership
    If you pay your £40 a month by direct debit and you use the gym three times a week, great. If not, cancel your membership immediately. You'll soon save enough to buy your own bike and, if you're so inclined, a rowing machine. Consider running home from work three times a week. It's free.
    Link: Compare prices for rowing machines on Kelkoo

33. Use your library
    The local library is a mecca for the money saver. You'll never need to buy another cookbook, guidebook or lifestyle manual again and if you can bear to wait a few weeks in the queue for the latest blockbuster, you never need to buy books again. CDs and videos are great value too.
    Link: www.whichbook.net - find a book and check if it's available at your local library

34. The three-for-two trick
    Now, there's a lot to be said for buy-one-get-one-free deals, especially if they pass the 'Do I really need this?' test. Then there's three-for-twos; a particularly cynical way of stores to entice shoppers to buy an extra item they would not otherwise buy. The 'offer' is always priced into the deal so do your sums and shop around.
    Saving: It's a principle at stake here
    Link: Discuss deals and scams with other readers

35. Buy clothes and presents in the sales
    So you need a new suit and the one you like comes in at a cool £300. Wait! The chances are that you can pick it up in the sale – and there's always a sale just around the corner – for £150. The same applies for birthday and Christmas presents. Buy in bulk in the sales and you not only save money, but you enjoy stress-free pre-Christmases and no last-minute birthday worries.

37. The Christmas lottery
    Instead of trying to buy a present for every relative in your family, consider getting together beforehand and picking one name from the hat. You then buy one thoughtful gift for that one person rather than attempting to please everyone at considerable cost. Everyone gets a present, everyone saves money.

38. The National Lottery – it won't be you!
    The odds of winning the Lotto jackpot are stacked 14m to 1 against each ticket. Some highly organised syndicates buy 14,000 tickets a week, which reduces the odds to 1,000 to 1 - but that's no guarantee of a win. For the rest of us, the difference to the odds between buying, say, 10 tickets and one is so insignificant that you should limit yourself to the one and save the extra money in a Cash mini Isa.
    Link: Are you sitting on a winning ticket?

39. Use your Isa allowances
    If you're not already aware, you can save up to £3,000 a year in a tax-free savings account called an Isa (for the more financially savvy there's also a stocks and shares Isa). It means you don't pay any tax on the interest accrued so, if you have spare cash in your current account, this is the difference between earning next to no interest and up to £150 a year.
    Saving: £100+
    Links: Guide to tax-free investing, Best Isa rates

40. Claim your benefits and tax credits
    There was once a certain stigma in Britain attached to claiming benefits. Well, not any more. The Government has put benefits at the heart of the family budget and it's your money so make sure you're claiming it. That includes Child Benefit, Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and other employee-related tax benefits.
    Link: Confused? Ask a This is Money Expert

41. How saving £50 a month now can save you £120 next year
    Do you pay your insurance premiums by monthly instalments? If you do, then consider this: you are probably being charged a premium of between 15% and 20% for the privilege. In other words, if your home and car insurance bill for the year is £600, you're paying up to £120 a year in interest by paying monthly. If you are in a position this year to save up for next year's premiums in advance, you can save money by paying the whole lot in one go.
    Link: This is Money's best savings rates

42. Do you need all those TV channels?
    Britain is switching to digital-only television and time is running out for you to choose your new digital TV provider. The choice is already bewildering and with telephone-based services now being launched it's going to get more complicated. Packages range from full the monty, including every sports and movie channel costing around £50 a month, down to Freeview, which is free. Choose wisely.
    Link: This is Money's digital TV finder

43. Bin the ready meals
    If TV chefs such as Ainsley Harriott can knock up a meal from a bag of random groceries including an aubergine and a packet of sultanas – so can you. Ready meals may be convenient, but preparing your own food saves money. A visit to your library will reveal scores of books dedicated to cooking proper meals in minutes.
    Link: Have we forgotten how to cook? - help us compile a money-saving cookbook

44. Take up a money-saving hobby
    Hobbies not only open your mind to new experiences but they also take up your time – important if you would otherwise spend it in the pub drinking away your hard-earned money. If a painting takes 20 hours to complete, and you normally get through a pint an hour. That's a saving of a least 40 quid a picture. Think about it. Get painting. Go fishing.

45. Avoid the payment protection racket
    Banks and other lenders are selling expensive insurance policies to cover loan repayments to people who don't need it. Don't be a victim of the hard-sell.
    Link: Read this story

46. Avoid extended warranties
    Electrical goods are more reliable than ever. If your new radio won't last three years perhaps it's not worth buying in the first place. Think about it: how many times has your fridge broken down in the last five years? And do you really need the hassle of claiming for repairs to a £15 toaster?
    Link: Read our guide to extended warranties

47. Shop online
    The internet is gradually taking over. Online grocery shopping is getting better all the time and there are plenty of comparison websites to help find the best prices for bigger items. Give it a try, unless of course you like fighting your way through supermarket crowds.
    Saving: Your sanity
    Links: Online grocery service rated; PriceRunner - price comparison site

48. The Citizen's Advice Bureau is your friend
    If your debts are out of control please seek help immediately from your local CAB – their advisers can help you work out a sensible strategy to get you back on your feet.
    Saving: It could save your life
    Link: Find your local CAB
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Drivel.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

You'll appreciate these wise tips now you are unemployed and about to lose a lot of money on another tat shop.

Comment

What may be a lot of money to you, is prawns to me.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Blimey, how much free time must you have?

Why would somebody want to be as rich a contractor? They aren't all that rich. Only the exceptional ones are billing more than about £300k/year gross.

You might as well aim to be 'as butch as a hairdresser'.

Comment

Great advice. I haven't cancelled the gym membership just yet, I still reckon I get my moneysworth.

A few of my favourite money saving ideas ...

- Never visit McDonalds unless you have vouchers.

- Always go for season tickets for farm parks, Duxford, Legoland etc. Make sure you go lots of times - it will make your investment worthwhile.

- When an item is genuinely on offer then buy loads of it and store it - saves money and visits to the shops. Perishable stuff can be frozen.

- Bundle a few purchase decisions together and see if you can get a deal.

- Get zero percent credit cards and pay the sum of each months spendings into a savings account. When the zero-rate ends, just pay it off and keep the interest. Do the same to interest-free deals on white goods etc.

- Learn about stocks and shares portfolios and buy into ISA-friendly funds on-line through a funds supermarket - eg. Fidelity. Save most of the initial commission. Index trackers are usually zero initial commission.

- Get a pay as you go mobile. Make sure you have some old mobile with you to trade in, make sure you get a top up included. Don't use it unless you need to.

- Use any spare non-ISA savings to pay into your mortgage. Because of the tax and differences in interest rates, mortgages will cost you more than you get in interest.

- Make sure you get a discount mortgage and change product whenever the discounted period runs out. Make sure you use any opportunity you can to repay it - eg. some mortgages allow you to pay in up to, say, £500 a month without penalty.

- If you have only a few people you talk to on the phone, go with someone like Tesco and get your mates/relatives to sign up as well. You both get a free signup call credit and calls between you are free.

- Review your energy bills annually and switch to the cheapest.

- Get your cavity walls insulated for about £250 by the council.

Off to bed now. Nighty Night!
            It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

train travel tip

Buying your first class ticket as a monthly season ticket will save you loads.
              A 1st class monthly ticket from Derby to Leeds will cost the same as buying your cattle class ticket at the window for the same duration.

Money can also be saved on Station car parks by buying monthly.

HTH
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
                Buying your first class ticket as a monthly season ticket will save you loads.
                A 1st class monthly ticket from Derby to Leeds will cost the same as buying your cattle class ticket at the window for the same duration.

Money can also be saved on Station car parks by buying monthly.

HTH
                she's right you know

threaded in "and she looks great in skin tight neoprene rubber too" mode
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

As a window cleaner, it really annoys me when I hear George Formby singing his famous song about my profession. How would he like it if I cleaned a window about being a buck-toothed, dead ukulele player? Not much I bet.

Les Convey, Gateshead
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I recently bought a fridge freezer from Currys, and after I had paid for it they asked me for my address to arrange delivery. I told them that I lived between Gateshead and Hexham, and if they rang me a week next Tuesday between 8am and 7pm, I night be able to give them a six hour slot when I would be able to take delivery. When they rang me, I told them that my house was out of stock and they should ring back on Saturday. The shoe's on the other foot now, isn't it, Currys?

DF Kant
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X