• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPSE vs QDOS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPSE vs QDOS

Insurance renewal time. I am looking to add IR35 insurance to my "portfolio". Received wisdom in these forums is to get your PI insurance from QDOS (as I do now) because prices are reasonable, and to use IPSE for everything else (eg. IR35 insurance).

Is that still the case ? I am not sure IPSE reflects the interests of contractors these days, but that doesn't mean their in insurance is to be sniffed at.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...pse-etc-2.html

At the risk of flogging a dead horse, IPSE doesn't provide insurance against tax loss (although it's available and discounted through their affiliates), they provide professional/legal representation, and that representation isn't restricted to IR35. So "IPSE vs. QDOS" isn't really a sensible dichotomy. The consensus is that IPSE provides good value for money in terms of costs vs. benefits, regardless of whether you agree with their broader efforts at representing contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
      Insurance renewal time. I am looking to add IR35 insurance to my "portfolio". Received wisdom in these forums is to get your PI insurance from QDOS (as I do now) because prices are reasonable, and to use IPSE for everything else (eg. IR35 insurance).

Is that still the case ? I am not sure IPSE reflects the interests of contractors these days, but that doesn't mean their in insurance is to be sniffed at.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...pse-etc-2.html
      IPSE will cover you for any tax investigation that you might face, but won't automatically cover you for penalties and tax if you lose. You can buy that as an additional extra from Abbey Tax who provide IPSE's investigation service.

IPSE+ membership gives you a whole load of extra things as well - the most important (IMHO) is the business interruption cover, which will pay out if the client or agency go bust, if you get called up for jury duty, if you have to take time out to speak to HMRC... There are other benefits as well (there's a summary PDF here).

IPSE are the only organisation that is speaking for contractors anywhere, so if they aren't doing it then who is? You should come over to the IPSE forums and let people know what you think, though, and make sure you use your vote in the CC election appropriately. If people don't stand up and shout out (in the right area), then IPSE aren't going to change anything, though.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

IPSE does still represent contractors - they've not (IMO) got managed to get the right balance between modifying the message to gain influence with the politicos and keeping their traditional membership on side, but they're still doing the right stuff. As I posted on their forums, I see their purpose as enabling us to continue operating in the way we want to, both by protecting us (the insurances) and attempting to influence politicians to create an operating environment that is friendly towards us.

If you do join up, don't forget to vote in the CC elections

And if you do decide to go with IPSE, MGM code IPSEMGM0004 will get us both a tenner at Amazon!

FaQQer's slacking!
        Last edited by mudskipper; 6 May 2015, 11:05.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          And if you do decide to go with IPSE, MGM code IPSEMGM0004 will get us both a tenner at Amazon!
          Or iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
            Or iTunes
            Indeed.

Comment

I have both because of the QDOS TLC35 product. If an IR35 investigation lands, I'll call QDOS. For anything else, I'll call IPSE.

Comment

Originally posted by dty View Post
                I have both because of the QDOS TLC35 product. If an IR35 investigation lands, I'll call QDOS. For anything else, I'll call IPSE.
                I have the same.

Now, if IPSE offered a combined product that meant that I didn't have to buy the add-on from Abbey Tax and just paid more to IPSE, then I'd save myself the bother of buying from more than one supplier and I'd get it all from IPSE.

I wonder whether any of the CC candidates this year has suggested that yet
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  I have the same.

Now, if IPSE offered a combined product that meant that I didn't have to buy the add-on from Abbey Tax and just paid more to IPSE, then I'd save myself the bother of buying from more than one supplier and I'd get it all from IPSE.

I wonder whether any of the CC candidates this year has suggested that yet
                  Not been suggested, possibly because IPSE isn't an insurance provider. Abbey are, and so can offer the product on IPES's behalf. Such products are highly regulated, it is simply not economic for IPSE to move into that space when others do it better and cheaper for them.

Also, when you look at the value of what is being protected, a hundred quid or so either way is pretty immaterial.

And given that nobody has ever been fined for losing an IR35 investigation, and neither Abbey nor QDOS have paid out on them, you have to wonder why people think they need it...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Not been suggested
                    Yes it has. I suggested it in the CC Elections forum.

, possibly because IPSE isn't an insurance provider. Abbey are, and so can offer the product on IPES's behalf. Such products are highly regulated, it is simply not economic for IPSE to move into that space when others do it better and cheaper for them.
                    No doubt you're right, but if I can get an IPSE discount on an AbbeyTax product, why can't IPSE add it onto the membership automatically for me?

Also, when you look at the value of what is being protected, a hundred quid or so either way is pretty immaterial.

And given that nobody has ever been fined for losing an IR35 investigation, and neither Abbey nor QDOS have paid out on them, you have to wonder why people think they need it...
                    Let's not go through that last bit all over again, but as I said on the IPSE forums about it, given this line then it surely makes even more sense to be able to offer that service. You don't think you'll ever have to pay out on it - great, so add on an extra £400 or whatever to the membership fees, people like me who want the reassurance will pay it, and you never have to pay out. Sounds like an easy money-spinner to me, thereby enabling IPSE to do more elsewhere.

As it is, I'll continue to pay someone else the money that I'd quite happily pay IPSE.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X