• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Percentage of agency contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Percentage of agency contracts

In the whole of contractor-style IT (I offer no definition but hope you'll know what I mean), what fraction of contracts would you say involve an agency? Agents will tell you it's something like 99%. From the experience of me and the people I know, I'd guess at about 50%. But that might just be because it's a nice round figure.
    What do yous reckon?

I could tell you, but i'd have to charge you, and need a receipt.
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Well for me it's a 50/50 split. But then I only have the two contracts anyway One via the agent and one direct. Both running concurrently, which is nice
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

For me its about 4/5. 80%
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

For me it's 66.6%, or if you count time rather than number of contracts, 90.9%.

But I'd bet the majority of contractors happily just work through agents as they assume that's the only way (probably the same people who happily stick with umbrellas), and the likes of us here who see it more of a business and develop a proper business relationship and sell their services themselves, are probably the minority.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
            For me it's 66.6%, or if you count time rather than number of contracts, 90.9%.

But I'd bet the majority of contractors happily just work through agents as they assume that's the only way (probably the same people who happily stick with umbrellas), and the likes of us here who see it more of a business and develop a proper business relationship and sell their services themselves, are probably the minority.
            "developing a proper business relationship" - does that involve sleeping with anyone?

Comment

I really dont care. Money to bank via agent first or client first doesnt matter.

If it pays what I want. I do not care.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

100% through agents, I don't kid myself that I am Mr Entrepreneur forging ahead creating my own business. I don't have premises, employees or pitch for large projects where I design how the solution is achieved. Kidded myself during first few years contracting that I was running a 'business', it is an illusion/delusion. I am sure there are a few on here closer to doing that, most will be in my boat.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg
                  Kidded myself during first few years contracting that I was running a 'business', it is an illusion/delusion. I am sure there are a few on here closer to doing that, most will be in my boat.
                  I suspect many people did the same. Some still do.

Comment

0% through agents over the last few years and better for it.
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X