• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why weren't they insured?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why weren't they insured?

Hatton Garden raid has 'ruined lives and livelihoods' - BBC News

"I have been told by individuals I have interviewed that they have had friends and colleagues who work in the quarter with them, grown men, hardened dealers - [they] don't know what to do because of course some haven't insured at all," Mr Marchant said.
    "Their view was 'it is in a safety deposit box - the key word is safety - it should be ok' - and of course they have lost everything."
    Mr Marchant said for those who were not insured, the chances of recovering their sums were "pretty remote".
    hmm millions in Jewellery and you don't insure it?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Why would you insure ? Its a safe vault, unlikely that some petty thief will drill through and steal anything.
    Last edited by fullyautomatix; 7 May 2015, 15:54.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Just goes to show...

If you have millions in jewellery, your 'secure' storage facility won't insure you and personal insurance is too expensive to consider, you're better off burying the loot in your backyard.

Either that, or you go with the UK government guaranteed route to wealth of selling the jewellery, purchasing buy to let property and ratcheting up the rent on the hapless younger generation by inflation+10% every year into infinity. Jobs a goodun.

Comment

because of HMRC

Comment

If I were a rich man, yadda yadda deedle deedle deedle deedle de.

Comment

Why were'nt they insured?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              Why would you insure ? Its a safe fault, unlikely that some petty thief will drill through and steal anything.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                If I were a rich man, yadda yadda deedle deedle deedle deedle de.
                My all time favourite film...

3 min 15 sec is where the action happens. You don't have to be Jewish to appreciate this scene, but it helps
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  @Vetran - in the contraction of "were not", the missing letter is the "o" in "not". So the correct contraction is "weren't". I fixed that one.

Similarly, when you are contracting "it is", the "i" in "is" is missing. So the contraction is "it's". It's really not very difficult.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    @Vetran - in the contraction of "were not", the missing letter is the "o" in "not". So the correct contraction is "weren't". I fixed that one.

Similarly, when you are contracting "it is", the "i" in "is" is missing. So the contraction is "it's". It's really not very difficult.
                    With all the contractions you're getting through you should've phoned the midwife by now!

Comment

Working...
                    X