• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptops. Are specs going backwards ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptops. Are specs going backwards ?

Hello

I have a four year old Dell 5150 laptop which has a 3.06 Ghz CPU, 2GB RAM and 100 GB hard disk. I have been looking about for a new one because the five year maintenance runs out next year and I have found the specifications of the current laptops to be worse at about 1.6 - 2 GHz CPU's, 1GB memory and 80GB hard disk.

Are laptop specs going backwards or am I just not looking hard enough?

Processor architectures have changed.

I have a Pentium 4 running at 3.6 Ghz, and it is considerably outperformed by an Intel Core Duo even if I underclock the later to 1.6Ghz.
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

I have just bought a Dell for 700 euros. Sorted
      We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Do let us know how you put the fire out without ruining the suit of the chap next to you...

Dell Fire Safety tips
        Last edited by cojak; 23 September 2006, 14:32.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I see. Cheers.

Comment

I just bought a Core 2 Duo box (2GHz) - well a Mac one. Scares the crap out of me how fast it is (compared to older machine compiling a huge chunk of C!). I reckon each core is around the same speed as a 3.06GHz P4.
            Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

I've decided to get a Mac for my next laptop... Let's see how it goes...

Can anyone recommend a Mac retailer, btw?
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak
                I've decided to get a Mac for my next laptop... Let's see how it goes...

Can anyone recommend a Mac retailer, btw?
                Go to Apple Store or John Lewis. JL will give you a free 2 year warranty versus the standard Apple 1 year.
                Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

All my stuff has come from MacWarehouse.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
                    I just bought a Core 2 Duo box (2GHz) - well a Mac one. Scares the crap out of me how fast it is (compared to older machine compiling a huge chunk of C!). I reckon each core is around the same speed as a 3.06GHz P4.
                    Huge chunks of C ?

Who, exactly, has trouble compiling 'huge chunks' of C any more?

Even a modest Intel or AMD processor, with a stingy amount of memory, would absolutelty piss through any amount of ANSI C code using a modern C compiler (from GNU, MS, Borland etc.).

What C compiler are you using that gives you this impression?

Now C++ is a different story, but compiling ANSI C should be as simple as.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X