• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV Review services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV Review services

Hello all,

Has anybody used a CV review service to improve their CV? Having not been in the contractor market before, it would be good to get it checked out and updated suitably. My permie CV has done me reasonably well for the last 20 years but it's a bit verbose.

I've uploaded to the free service provided by cv-library, but don't to expect to get a quality service for free. If anyone's used one, did you get more leads as a result of the CV review and changes made?

I did one of IPSE's webinars which was run by these guys CV Writing Services | CV Services - there was some great advice. Not sure if the webinars are available to non-members.

It almost convinced me it was worth forking out for - and I may still do so if I have trouble securing a new gig.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      I did one of IPSE's webinars which was run by these guys CV Writing Services | CV Services - there was some great advice. Not sure if the webinars are available to non-members.

It almost convinced me it was worth forking out for - and I may still do so if I have trouble securing a new gig.
      And if you do the webinar (and there are a few every so often), they give you a discount on the rewrite.

I did the LinkedIn webinar, which was interesting and made me think about changing things around on both my CV and my LinkedIn profile.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

I had a look, I don't see the point of the basic CV service (those contracts keep coming in), and I think that £299 is a bit steep for the Professional service.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You are better of getting someone on here who recruits other contractors in your field to go through your CV.

It's cheaper plus you know actually what is expected of you. For example writing a CV in the third person annoys a lot of people. I have an issue with repetition (or copy and paste). etc
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Have to agree with Cojak and SueEllen the Web session were useful but don't think its worth the expense (note I reserve the right to be completely 2 faced and change my mind if I don't secure a 2nd contract soon)

Comment

Originally posted by Fifer72 View Post
              Have to agree with Cojak and SueEllen the Web session were useful but don't think its worth the expense (note I reserve the right to be completely 2 faced and change my mind if I don't secure a 2nd contract soon)
              I paid the £30 for the templates, slides, advice and a quick review, although they haven't been in touch for the review yet.

I'll have a crack at rewriting it at some stage and then they can review it...
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                I paid the £30 for the templates, slides, advice and a quick review, although they haven't been in touch for the review yet.

I'll have a crack at rewriting it at some stage and then they can review it...
                The reviews are VERY generic.

Comment

Originally posted by Fifer72 View Post
                  The reason you haven't secured a second contract is that you aren't seen by agencies as an experienced enough contractor.

If they have you and someone who has clearly a few contracts under their belt they put the other person forward.

One trick is to write your permanent work so it looks more like contracts. This is easier to do if you didn't spend over 3 years at your last permanent workplace.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I did the full £270 package (there's a discount if you attend the webinar) which did indeed include a 2 hour interview, 1hr prep session, rewrite (draft and final) of my CV and LinkedIn profile.

Got some reasonable interest off the back of it too. Then I got my contract renewed anyway.

Do it, pay for it off the company account (marketing costs) and tuck it away for when it's needed.
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                    X