• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advent

Does anyone have any experience of Advent machines? Their laptops seem, prima facie, to have a good spec and a decent price. That said, Tiny and Time PCs look reasonable on paper :rolleyes

Are their machines reliable, or cobbled together with rusty springs and bits of old string?

Had one of their calendars once. The chocolate was rubbish!

Comment

Tiny and Time PCs look reasonable on paper
      Do not touch Tiny or Time with a barge-pole - shocking reputation!!!

At least if you get a laptop from PC-World you can get the damn thing sorted if it goes wrong!
      Anyway, you're a contractor, shouldn't you be going for one of these...

Laptop Spec...

Comment

Do not touch Tiny or Time with a barge-pole - shocking reputation!!!
        Exactly. Are Advent another Tiny; decent price and impressive spec, but absolute pants in reality?

Comment

PC-World have been selling Advent kit for years...

Comment

Ive got an advent PC (Athlon 3400 with 19" flat panel monitor) and it does the trick.

Nothing wrong with it although if I was to play games like Doom3 or Half Life2 Im sure the PC would probably grind to a halt.

However for the £400 I paid for it Im happy enough.

Mailman

Comment

my Ltd company repair PC / laptop for local business we have very, very few Advent Laptops throught which are faulty, the last one had a broken rear power connector because the user had pushed the power lead in far to hard!

Comment

What's the general opinion on the best laptop at the 1K mark?

Comment

I've had an Advent 7047 laptop for over a year now, and it's still in perfect condition. I use it more than my desktop.

Even a cup of tea falling on it didn't kill it. Stunned it a bit, until I spent an hour or so with a fan pointing at it. Still as good as new.

As mentioned above, you can walk into PC World to get service on it.

Do a google on the brand, you'll find very few complaints in the various hardware discussion forums.

Most Advent laptops are rebranded laptops from Medion in Germany. Most of their desktops are built by Centerprise International in the UK.

Comment

Advent

The main issue with Advent appears to be that of brand -- its sh1te brand and since it sells mainly in PC World it means that you should be able to get decent branded laptop for less via mail order.

Comment

Working...
                    X