• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More migrants coming to the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More migrants coming to the UK

EU to impose migrant quotas forcing states to 'share' burden of influx | World news | The Guardian

UK should have voted UKIP. Oh I forgot - it did. But under the current rules they get 1 seat instead of 83.

I caught the French Interior Minister saying all those trying to stow-away on UK bound vehicles in Calais should apply for asylum in France instead

If asylum is granted there would they then be eligible for free movement throughout Europe i.e. into UK- or am I just being cynical?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      I caught the French Interior Minister saying all those trying to stow-away on UK bound vehicles in Calais should apply for asylum in France instead

If asylum is granted there would they then be eligible for free movement throughout Europe i.e. into UK- or am I just being cynical?
      No they wouldn't. Only EU citizens are eligible for free movement, having a resident permit wouldn't allow them to go anywhere else.

At the end of the day whether we're in the EU or not the UK will be under pressure to accept some Asylum seekers, after all the UK does carry a responsibility for the situation in Irak and Afganistan.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Since the UK is in the council of ministers it can veto the idea.

However the fact is, asylum seekers are flooding out the middle east; the UK can't just ignore it, regardless of whether it is in the EU or not.

ekathimerini.com | Switzerland willing to join EU refugee quota scheme

Doesn't really matter whether the UK is in the EU or not, it's going to have to sit down and discuss it in the same way Switzerland has.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 10 May 2015, 21:33.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post

Italy gives refugees residence papers after a year. They are then used to travel through out the Schengen area including to France.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

no problem with it, if we are going to do the EU thing we need to share our problems. However anyone who gets here and claims asylum in the UK should be sent to Romania etc.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Youkippers should stop shouting before you know what is going to happen. This could actually mean less migrants to the UK, as many have now either the UK or Germany as their preferred destination. At the moment no one comes and says I want to live in Lithuania or Slowakia.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                Youkippers should stop shouting before you know what is going to happen. This could actually mean less migrants to the UK, as many have now either the UK or Germany as their preferred destination. At the moment no one comes and says I want to live in Lithuania or Slowakia.
                And that's part of the problem. Asylum seekers should not get a choice on where to live, their only genuine concern should be that they and their families are no longer in danger of their lives.

Choosing where you go turns you into an economic migrant, and there are already visa processes in place for this. Unfortunately, the lefties seem to think that an economic migrant on a boat can jump the queue in front of an economic migrant filling in the forms properly in New Delhi or wherever.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                  And that's part of the problem. Asylum seekers should not get a choice on where to live, their only genuine concern should be that they and their families are no longer in danger of their lives.

Choosing where you go turns you into an economic migrant, and there are already visa processes in place for this. Unfortunately, the lefties seem to think that an economic migrant on a boat can jump the queue in front of an economic migrant filling in the forms properly in New Delhi or wherever.
                  well said
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    No they wouldn't. Only EU citizens are eligible for free movement, having a resident permit wouldn't allow them to go anywhere else.

At the end of the day whether we're in the EU or not the UK will be under pressure to accept some Asylum seekers, after all the UK does carry a responsibility for the situation in Irak and Afganistan.
                    As a slight aside my better half had a German Work Permit about 7 years ago and that gave her visa-free travel through the Schengen area (visit - not to reside or work though)

Comment

Working...
                    X