• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London Properties

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London Properties

Are there still areas of London that are fairly central where it still makes sense to buy residential property as an investment?
    The prices seem to be sky high, they will probably go up still, but percentage-wise it won't be massive, I think.
    Physically speaking you will also end up owning something very tine, most likely on a leasehold.
    Still, I'd really love to own something in London, long-term, as I think retiring and enjoying life in London can be very pleasant (unlike working in it, with the commute during rush hour etc) and I'd like to do that if I can afford it...

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    Still, I'd really love to own something in London, long-term, as I think retiring and enjoying life in London can be very pleasant (unlike working in it, with the commute during rush hour etc) and I'd like to do that if I can afford it...
    You have been terribly misinformed. I'd rather buy something in Bradford or Keighley, TBH.

Comment

Are there still areas of London that are fairly central where it still makes sense to buy residential property as an investment?
      The prices seem to be sky high, they will probably go up still, but percentage-wise it won't be massive, I think.
      Physically speaking you will also end up owning something very tine, most likely on a leasehold.
      My parents started their retirement there is a company flat behind Oxford Street. It was great for the 9 months there were they but they were happy to leave afterwards.

The one thing you will miss will be friends as those living nearby are too busy or self important to chat..
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Near a cross rail station end might be a good start

Comment

Are there still areas of London that are fairly central where it still makes sense to buy residential property as an investment?<snip>
          London can mean anything within whatever is an acceptable commute for you.

Crossrail is bringing many more areas to within 45 minutes of central London. You can look at areas like Ealing or a little further out (and cheaper) like Hayes, Langley or Slough. Yes some might think they are a little more deprived but a house in Slough is probably a third the price of a flat in Ealing, yet the Crossrail journey will only be around 10 minutes more. So your potential profit is probably better in the outer areas. Reading is a good bet too.

Northern parts of Kent are also going up in value. Think Ebbsfleet station, which has a 17 minute train ride into Kings Cross.

Midlands with the HS2, another contender for biggest price rises over the next 10 years?

Central London itself does not make for a good investment right now. Stories of a city property bubble are rife and development is at a high, so supply will increase and it's entirely possible that overseas investment is at risk, which is the only thing bucking up the prices there. City professionals won't buy £1m standard flats in central London, not when they can buy far grander properties within a 30 minute commute.

The ripple effect is moving outwards.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
            You have been terribly misinformed. I'd rather buy something in Bradford or Keighley, TBH.
            To be fair and I don't live far from either of them, for the price of a decent London property you could buy ALL of Bradford and Keighley and have a fair bit of change left over.

Comment

Bedroom for rent complete with cooker, fridge and saucepans - Telegraph

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                To be fair and I don't live far from either of them, for the price of a decent London property you could buy ALL of Bradford and Keighley and have a fair bit of change left over.
                And you'd have most of a working Islamic state. I wonder why ISIL don't just do that?

Comment

They say a crash is imminent when all you can see is cranes and bull dozers.

When I go near central london all I can see if massive amounts of construction, its fairly ominous that a big bad crash is not far away.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    They say a crash is imminent when all you can see is cranes and bull dozers.

When I go near central london all I can see if massive amounts of construction, its fairly ominous that a big bad crash is not far away.
                    Hope not I'm just about to complete, stamp duty is shocking.
                    I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Working...
                    X