• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

They don't make 'em like that any more.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They don't make 'em like that any more.

15 Fascinating Facts About The SR-71 Blackbird, The Fastest Plane On Earth | HistoryInOrbit.com

Dear dense old Freako, this refers to the SR71 of immortal memory, designed in the age of slide rules & pocket protectors, burning a fuel so non flammable that it put matches out. It also leaked a lot.

And this is how a J58 engine works.

Simples. As a russian puppet might say, never having designed such a thing.

Last edited by zeitghost; 8 June 2017, 09:29.

Awe-inspiring aircraft, and makes one wonder, particularly in the field of Aviation, whether the "Golden Age" has long gone, what do we show the new generation to spark the same interest in science/technology?

F-35? Impressive to watch, but it should be given the pricetag and number of SLOC to get it working.
    Typhoon? Impressive how it can be thrown around with full stores.
    B2. Yep

From a wider viewpoint I can only think of the Mars Rovers, Next generation of Aircraft Carriers etc. Everything now seems to be just Bigger/More Refined than what we had in the past (if there's a replacement at all i.e. Concorde)
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

The American Air museum at Duxford has an SR-71A and a B-17 Flying Fortress, B-24 Liberator, B-25 Mitchell, P-47 Thunderbolt, B-52 Stratofortress, and an F-4 Phantom among others. I was like a little kid when I went.
      I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

I once saw a documentary on some Soviet rocket engines that were found mothballed in some factory somewhere, they put out a rediculous amount of thrust and used a design long since discounted by the Yanks dangerous (something to do with liquid propellant injected under immense temperatures burning through the metal).

Apparently (not sure if it's still the case) but back then the Russians had a different design philosophy in so far as once the drawings were handed over to manufacturing, they (manufacturing) took over the design so altered it how they thought best.
        Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
        "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Working...
        X