• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nightmare with BT Broadband home move..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nightmare with BT Broadband home move..

I moved house recently just up the same street and had arranged to have my BT Broadband and BT Landline number moved to my new property on the day I moved in. I entered the property and no Broadband, the next day I got BT Broadband (hooray)... the next 3 days it worked fine but on the 4th day
    the BT Broadband went down do I called them same day in the evening.

Since that evening 1 and a half weeks have passed and I have had a living nightmare on the phone to India where 80% of the staff cannot understand the basic history of the problem and relay it or understand the information (or are blocked from viewing) information that come back from BT Engineers.

I had 2 prearranged phone calls where they were ment to call me at certain times from India and they failed to do so after waiting over an hour later.

now its been 13 hours to India BT Technical services and over 4 hours to BT Customer services in England since 1.5 weeks ago.

The Indian techincal team were telling me different stories every time they called me up "We've done a line test and there is a problem", "we've just done a line test and there is NO problem", "we done a line test and the results are INCONCLUSIVE". With no techincal explanation as to what the tests actually show or mean.

I then contacted BT Yahoo Broadband Complaints ... they finally arranged for me to talk to a BT Engineer on Friday 7pm - 9pm (great isn't it ?). Then at 7:18pm some stroppy Scotsman calls me from BT refusing to answer basic questions like "Are you are BT Engineer ?" and "Do you know what work has been done at the exchange for my Broadband ?" After 3 minutes into the conversation I told him that I was putting him on speaker phone for quality purposes to which he replied "Sir, I do not allow you to tape this conversation" and he abruptly but the phone down. So much for BT customer service quality.

so another e-mail to BT Customer complaints on Saturday morning telling them about Ofcom, otelo (regulatory companies) etc and I finally get a Geordie engineer call me whilst shopping to go back home and be at my home 4pm to 8pm to await a call .... I get his employee number !

Then an Indian guy calls up (he was actually really good) who coordinated the engineers in England and myself (ie plugging in my new BT Home Hub) into the socket at the right time etc and they FINALLY conclude after me buying 3 new ADSL modems, 4x new cables and 4x socket splitters that the problem is probably at the exchange and they will conduct an investigation from the main exchange to the sub exchange and finally get an engineer to my home if no suceess at those two points....

My question to you is how can an organisation me so ineffectual and take so long to figure out that the problem is not at the users computer end but instead at the exchange, sub exchange ot exchange to my ADSL socket ???

Its cost me alot ... and I had to use 2x PCs also to prove it to these guys that there was NO ADSL comming out of my socket anymore.

In my house move I have not had to deal with anything more stressful than this ...... you guys ever had problems with Broadband moves ???

I mean I know they have to deactivate your old Broadband at your old address and then reactivate it at your new one but man how difficult can it be ? why does the procedure always mess up ? (I've been reading other people 's complaints online who have had exactly the same problem ...)...

anyone know if your broadband can go to on address and your landline number can be on a different physical location or is this not possible ??

Now you know why I use Andrews and Arnold. Similar potential problem, headed off at the pass - they called me to say they had a BT stop notice on my service and did I really mean it. "Ermm, no, can you deal with it?" "Certainly". Never heard any more about it.

No doubt some ISPs talk to BT engineering, not BT sales. No doubt some ISPs can get results as a result!
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Now you know why I use Andrews and Arnold.
      Who?

Please eludicate for the uneducated...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

It's a good idea to get another ISP on the line and let them deal with BT as they'll have contacts at BT wholesale. I recommend NewNet PLC who tend to get the arse with BT. They've actually managed to get an old line disconnected and reconnected to their network in the same day:

http://www.newnet.co.uk/
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

A friend has just moved 200yds up the road. They contacted Telewest for BB and phone. Telewest phoned them 2 days n4 the move to say "sorry the cable doesn't go that far up the road, if you can wait 2 weeks we'll dig it up"

now thats service !
          Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
            A friend has just moved 200yds up the road. They contacted Telewest for BB and phone. Telewest phoned them 2 days n4 the move to say "sorry the cable doesn't go that far up the road, if you can wait 2 weeks we'll dig it up"

now thats service !
            Feckers wouldn't lay a cable down my (longish)drive even though there is a cable manhole adjacent to the entrance, suppose that's what comes of not living in a street

I was tempted to hire one of those mole type thingys and do it myself - don't even know what cable you'd use -fibre optic?
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

2 things here.

1. Why the hell would anyone want broadband via BT? (excpeting that the cables and core service is provided by them of course)

2. Have Telewest actually dug new cable? I thought they wouldn't ever dig any more.

Comment

Originally posted by quickweb
                2 things here.

1. Why the hell would anyone want broadband via BT? (excpeting that the cables and core service is provided by them of course)
                1. They CAN if you're using the business broadband, have you connected the same day.

2. It's easier to manage all your infrastructure through one provider than have lots of little ones to deal with (prime example - where i'm working - avaya core, 4x cheap diallers with different companies, 2x isdn, 4x pots, 4x adsl load balanced from zen, alarm). Fecking nightmare.
                Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

I use BT Business Broadband and it's OK. No problems so far. They do an Openzone £5 a month deal too, which is very useful.
                  It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Signed up with BT for BB just last week. Previously with Euro1net - who wents norks up. You can find grumbling about every BB supplier, it's not an exact science at this stage, it's a patch up on the back of the existing phone system. When it's been in as long as that has it will be routine.
                    Problem comes when you are reliant for business/work etc, any delay becomes a big issue, for most people it just means they have to dust off their mags...

Comment

Working...
                    X