• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Its Dead Jim

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its Dead Jim

Advice please; a friend has a hard drive that has failed, and as is the norm in these situations: he has realised that it holds all his photos & he has no back up.

Can anyone recommend a data recovery service, as in a send it off & pay for it as he has minor IT skills?

Thanks
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

First things first.
    Assuming its died from a hardware point of view (dry joint or something along those lines), tell him to wrap it in many bags, seal it up and place into the freezer for 24 hours. Then try putting it back into his pc and see if there's any life in the thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
      Advice please; a friend has a hard drive that has failed, and as is the norm in these situations: he has realised that it holds all his photos & he has no back up.

Can anyone recommend a data recovery service, as in a send it off & pay for it as he has minor IT skills?

Thanks
      BGG?

Were they the photos taken with the hidden camera?

Comment

Thanks
        Buy and download this :

https://www.grc.com/cs/prepurch.htm

Burn it to on of these

Insert into optical drive and boot.

Select option 2 and let it do it's stuff. Can take hours.

Reboot from HDD.

Plug in one of these :

Copy tulip to external drive.

Shut down. Remove HDD and place delicately in one of these :

Insert new HDD and install OS.

Copy tulip back.

Of course all of the above is not advised if the drive is making a clicking sound like a deathwatch beetle.

Then you really will need a data recovery expert.

Like this one :

https://www.fields-data-recovery.co....FerjwgodgiEAIA

Expect to pay handsomely.

Truly HTH
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          BGG? Were they the photos taken with the hidden camera?
          Nope the question was asked on behalf of a work colleague

Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
          First things first. Assuming its died from a hardware point of view (dry joint or something along those lines), tell him to wrap it in many bags, seal it up and place into the freezer for 24 hours. Then try putting it back into his pc and see if there's any life in the thing.
          When I said minimal IT skills – I mean that someone else (I think it was PC world) had removed the HD & suggested he try elsewhere, getting him to put it back is not going to happen

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          https://www.fields-data-recovery.co....FerjwgodgiEAIA

Expect to pay handsomely.

Truly HTH
          Thanks for that will suggest the link
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

Friend of mine paid £2k I shiit you not to recover his bird's thesis from knackered disk she'd never backed up.

One of those professional recovery peoples...

Circa 2008...

Comment

Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
              First things first.
              Assuming its died from a hardware point of view (dry joint or something along those lines), tell him to wrap it in many bags, seal it up and place into the freezer for 24 hours. Then try putting it back into his pc and see if there's any life in the thing.
              never heard that one before.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Not cheap. Never understand why people rely on just one disk. Get google cloud or something - you can get tonks of storage for about £2 a month.

Remember when my mrs was in college. I used to force her to back up her college stuff. Of course not everyone did this. One of her classmates lost her disertation the day before (Stored on usb drive), no backup, shes was in college bawling her eyes out.

Comment

Nope the question was asked on behalf of a work colleague

When I said minimal IT skills – I mean that someone else (I think it was PC world) had removed the HD & suggested he try elsewhere, getting him to put it back is not going to happen

Thanks for that will suggest the link
                  Buy a USB caddy and stick disk in there. £20-30.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Buy a USB caddy and stick disk in there. £20-30.
                    That won't fix a shagged disk...

Comment

Working...
                    X