• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A favour for Mortimer Spinks...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A favour for Mortimer Spinks...

I've had the same email from at least three of their consultants asking me to part take in some survey of theirs.
    Do these people have nothing better to do lol

Are you getting the same useless spam?

Originally posted by zazou View Post
    I've had the same email from at least three of their consultants asking me to part take in some survey of theirs.
    Do these people have nothing better to do lol

Are you getting the same useless spam?
    Yep

Comment

Instantly deleted

Comment

It could be worse :-

Help! I'm accidentally stealing people's identities and I don't know how to stop | Technology | The Guardian

================================================
        That means that my email address, alexhern@[major webmail provider], often gets the wayward missives intended for Herns and Hernandezes across the world. To make matters worse, full-stops in email addresses are ignored by a lot of webmail providers, meaning alex.hern, and even a.l.e.x.h.e.r.n will also end up in my inbox.
        I was still receiving emails from LA Fitness and Sprint, which don’t actually offer any ability to unsubscribe at all.

So I logged in myself.

The problem with using someone else’s email to sign up to web services is that, well, your email address is the final arbiter of identity online. In a very practical sense, if you sign up for an account with my email, I control it, not you. And with a single click on the “forgotten password”, I can consolidate that control.

Unfortunately, once I’ve logged in – just to disable email notifications – there’s no way to hand control back. After all, I don’t know the original password, and I can’t exactly get in touch with the account holder. What am I going to do, email them?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          It could be worse :-

Help! I'm accidentally stealing people's identities and I don't know how to stop | Technology | The Guardian

That means that my email address, alexhern@[major webmail provider], often gets the wayward missives intended for Herns and Hernandezes across the world. To make matters worse, full-stops in email addresses are ignored by a lot of webmail providers, meaning alex.hern, and even a.l.e.x.h.e.r.n will also end up in my inbox.
          I was still receiving emails from LA Fitness and Sprint, which don’t actually offer any ability to unsubscribe at all.

So I logged in myself.

The problem with using someone else’s email to sign up to web services is that, well, your email address is the final arbiter of identity online. In a very practical sense, if you sign up for an account with my email, I control it, not you. And with a single click on the “forgotten password”, I can consolidate that control.

Unfortunately, once I’ve logged in – just to disable email notifications – there’s no way to hand control back. After all, I don’t know the original password, and I can’t exactly get in touch with the account holder. What am I going to do, email them?

I get this a lot. Logged in to one account, got the chap's phone number and phoned him up to tell him to stop being a kn0b and use his own email address. I think he thought I was some kind of scammer. Just to prove him wrong, I didn't use his credit card details which were stored on the account in plain view

I know quite a lot about a few folks with names similar to mine: what they do for a living, when their car needs a service, their kids' school reports, their house appraisal, one bloke's tax returns. It's pretty scary what people will put out there and how few people verify email addresses before sending out confidential information

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            I get this a lot. Logged in to one account, got the chap's phone number and phoned him up to tell him to stop being a kn0b and use his own email address. I think he thought I was some kind of scammer. Just to prove him wrong, I didn't use his credit card details which were stored on the account in plain view

I know quite a lot about a few folks with names similar to mine: what they do for a living, when their car needs a service, their kids' school reports, their house appraisal, one bloke's tax returns. It's pretty scary what people will put out there and how few people verify email addresses before sending out confidential information
            I once got an email intended for the real BrilloPad. From a previous lover. Seems he is quite a lothario.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              I once got an email intended for the real BrilloPad. From a previous lover. Seems he is quite a lothario.
              What was his name?

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                What was his name?
                Wrong question.

Was he a from Luton?

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                  What was his name?
                  I suppose most on here are too young to know of his reputation. In the late eighties he was a real dandy about town. I think there was a big story about Pamela or something?

Comment

Some muppet jeweller in Swindon has given out [email protected] to all his customers and suppliers.

Comment

Working...
                    X