• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should the UK respect the cultures of other countries?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should the UK respect the cultures of other countries?

Why does Indonesia demand that female military recruits are virgins? - BBC News

Respect is the wrong word. We should not interfere, that achieves nothing, but there is no reason to respect appalling beliefs and practices.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

He said: "If it is not restricted this way, then someone with a bad habit will become military personnel. Soldiers are a nation's defenders. They defend a nation's sovereignty, a country's territory and security."
      He told local media if a candidate had lost her virginity out of wedlock her mental state would make her unfit to become a soldier.
      He said "It may be because of an accident, disease or because of a habit" - meaning sexual intercourse.
      "If it is their habit, the Indonesian military cannot accept potential recruits like these."
      throw him into a cell with Harperson!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Perhaps start by putting it into context? Indonesia is a predominantly Muslim country and pre-marital abstinence is a fundamental tenet of their faith. As it is for Christianity, but our churches seem to have given up on preaching morality. Or much of anything, actually.

Anyway, my problem is other countries not respecting our culture, not the other way round.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Do they also stick two fingers up men's parts to see if they too are virgins?

Comment

We should withdraw our ambassador.

Comment

I have no problems respecting other people's cultures, in fact I enjoy seeing and visiting them.

I do mind it if the people who have those cultures object to ours and actively seek to destroy it.

I really mind the people who come to this culture and then feel they can ignore the rules imposed by it just because they have a different one. Integration into the culture that they come to should be a requirement or they should leave.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Perhaps start by putting it into context? Indonesia is a predominantly Muslim country and pre-marital abstinence is a fundamental tenet of their faith. As it is for Christianity, but our churches seem to have given up on preaching morality. Or much of anything, actually.

Anyway, my problem is other countries not respecting our culture, not the other way round.

And that's fair enough if it applies to all recruits. Subjecting women to an internal examination, which may indicate virginity but certainly can't disprove it, isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Totally, a bit less sticking in to our noses in to everyone else's business and bit more of looking after our own problems.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Indonesia is a bit of fruitloop of a country really, been there a few times either passing through or for holiday and it has always struck me as being a repressive state. Anywhere the police have knee high patent boots is a signal of a feck up of a country.

Knee high patent boots on virgin female soldiers however...

Comment

Working...
                    X