• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Sheriff's Lair vol. CCLXXXI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Sheriff's Lair vol. CCLXXXI

Coming up to the end of the sprint and I have nothing left to do, so I'm reading about conspiracies on the original WikiWikiWeb
    • Confessions of a Tabloid 'Extremist' - Interview with Graham Johnson, a former tabloid journalist who was convicted for phone hacking at the NotW: ”It’s British press culture. I’ve been to a lot of countries as a reporter. Other reporters in other countries are very well behaved, and very nice – they don’t have any good stories, mind you!”

• Test drive of a petrol car - The Tesla Club of Sweden review a petrol car in the style of an electric car review: ”Having heard so much good about petrol cars, we decided to test drive one. They are said to combine cheap price with long range and fast charging… One could hear the engine’s sound and the car’s whole body vibrated as if something was broken, but the seller assured us that everything was as it should.”

• The man who windsurfed to work via River Thames - "Alex Allan was involved in a rather unusual episode in the 1980s. In order to get around a train strike, the intrepid Grateful Dead fanatic decided to windsurf to work wearing a bowler hat and suit and carrying a briefcase and an umbrella." I remember seeing him on the news

• Hooked and Booked: A brief look at bibliomania - "Some people think that collecting old books is a kind of mild insanity. The collector, on his side, smiles upon the ignorant who cannot understand the enjoyment of collecting… With development of bibliomania, the friendly, warming flame of a hobby become devastating, ravaging wildfire, a tempest of loosened and vehement passions. We are then in the presence of a pathological, irresistible mental compulsion, which has produced more than one crime interesting enough to be remembered.” Which reminds me, I need to take a week off to construct some bookcases…

• The Man Who Drank Cholera and Launched the Yogurt Craze - The story of Ilya Metchnikoff, Nobel Prize-winning microbiologist whose research inspired the probiotics industry: ”During the 1892 cholera epidemic in France, he drank Cholera vibrio, a bacteria that causes the disease… The cholera drink didn’t sicken Metchnikoff, so he let a volunteer from his lab repeat the test. When the first volunteer didn’t contract cholera either, Metchnikoff didn’t hesitate to accept an offer from a second one. To his horror, the young man fell ill and nearly died.”

• The impaled cranium that allegedly belonged to a 14th century pirate - Klaus Störtebeker was a pirate in the Baltic and the North Sea, until he was captured and executed: ”He decided to make a deal with the headsman. After he was decapitated the executioner was to allow his headless body to walk past his fellow pirates and release every man he was able to walk past. Störtebeker’s body was able to make it by 11 men before the executioner tripped him.”

• Fired Up: The Science of Flames - A look at the various polymers that help to reduce the dangers of fire in motor racing: ”Two fears you have as a race car driver: one is being on fire and two is being T-boned in the driver door – everything else you sort of accept.”

• lol my thesis - In which academics attempt to describe their research in a single sentence more trenchant, and possibly more honest, than their thesis title. For example, ”Environmental choice in a top invertebrate predator: understanding how behavior and ecology drive organism response to ecosystem change” becomes ”Octopuses do, or don’t do, things.”

• Using millions of online photos cobbled together, we can now watch history unfold - ”Computer scientists have now figured out how to create timelapses by pulling data from photos that people share publicly on sites like Flickr and Picasa. They call it timelapse mining.”

• Old cannon re-used as bollards - Martin H. Evans on the phenomenon of cannon being repurposed as street furniture:

Happy invoicing!

The Tesla article will give the eco-warriors something to feel smug about as they wait hours to charge their cars.
    I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Good effort NF

From the pirate thingy:

After Hamburg’s executioner decapitated the entire crew, a member of Hamburg’s city council asked the headsman if he was tired from swinging his axe so many times. The executioner, who thought he was a jester, replied that he still had enough energy to behead the entire council if necessary. In response the council had the headsman put to death as well.
      And I thought US immigration were the most humourless baskets ever to draw breath.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
        Good effort NF

From the pirate thingy:

And I thought US immigration were the most humourless baskets ever to draw breath.
        You don't joke around with the Hanseatic League. Actually, there's probably a conspiracy theory about them…

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Confessions of a Tabloid 'Extremist' - Interview with Graham Johnson, a former tabloid journalist who was convicted for phone hacking at the NotW: ”It’s British press culture. I’ve been to a lot of countries as a reporter. Other reporters in other countries are very well behaved, and very nice – they don’t have any good stories, mind you!”

Interesting they expect to get the electricity for free.

And no mention of top speed either.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Interesting they expect to get the electricity for free.

And no mention of top speed either.
            Tesla provide free charging stations for their customers - you can drive a Tesla from Boston to San Francisco and never have to pay for leccy, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Tesla provide free charging stations for their customers - you can drive a Tesla from Boston to San Francisco and never have to pay for leccy, apparently.
              How many do they have in the UK?

Remember the top gear electric car test? Very biased - but very funny!

Comment

Working...
              X