• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blackpool NHS staff data is left online (only for 11 months though)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackpool NHS staff data is left online (only for 11 months though)

Blackpool NHS staff data is left online - Fleetwood Weekly News
    • Thousands of staff members’ personal details – including National Insurance numbers and salaries – were accidentally published online
    • Bosses at Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust today admitted to the massive information breach
    • Details went live on its website in March last year – and stayed there for 11 months
    • It affected more than 5,000 employees and was not spotted until January, when it was removed and the Information Commissioner notified

Any will anybody be held accountable? Of course not! This is the Public Sector!
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Has anyone been an IT contractor in the NHS? I've not, though a long time ago when I was changing my skillset I looked at a few jobs with a low rate just to get the experience.

The impression I got (based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever) was that it would have been one big boys brigade, a bunch of mainly incompetents on 3 month contracts, that would have been in the same role for 10 years or so "because they have NHS Experience", nursing the same bugs and long term problems as it was in their interests to do so. They'd just talk the talk to their NHS managers that [insert name of system] was broke, and because of their managers inherent inability to be of any use the situation would persist ad-infinitum, at great cost the public purse of course.

I may be completely wrong in my judgement, but I somehow doubt it if the above is anything to go by...
    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
      Has anyone been an IT contractor in the NHS? I've not, though a long time ago when I was changing my skillset I looked at a few jobs with a low rate just to get the experience.

The impression I got (based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever) was that it would have been one big boys brigade, a bunch of mainly incompetents on 3 month contracts, that would have been in the same role for 10 years or so "because they have NHS Experience", nursing the same bugs and long term problems as it was in their interests to do so. They'd just talk the talk to their NHS managers that [insert name of system] was broke, and because of their managers inherent inability to be of any use the situation would persist ad-infinitum, at great cost the public purse of course.

I may be completely wrong in my judgement, but I somehow doubt it if the above is anything to go by...
      No, your not far off the mark. Did a stint back in 2012 for a few months before bailing to the private sector.

So, lots of chiefs who delegated everything to us minions then went of to play golf. Non existent change control, obsession with pay grades, thankfully most of the people I worked with very really nice (some good drinking sessions on payday) but the IT dept I was in ruled by a complete bully of a director, the whole atmosphere would change as soon as he walked in the door. Lots of politiking, plenty of cliques. I was getting asked to fix everything, but to be fair to the guy who took me on once I'd explained IR35 and D&C, etc, he left me alone to get on with what I was brought in for.

Certainly an eye opener, but not worked PS since and doubt I would again if I can avoid it.

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Totally agree

I have been in the NHS for 15 years and the reason i am looking to contract is i am tired of being a good PM with other perm managers who do a rubbish job but are there because they have been there so long and contractors coming in some on £600 + a day some of whom are there for 18 months and leave not delivering what they are supposed to. I haven't been able to move up within my organisation because of a contractor in the post above.

I am really good at what I do but there are many people who are not.

Comment

Originally posted by southerngal View Post
          I have been in the NHS for 15 years and the reason i am looking to contract is i am tired of being a good PM with other perm managers who do a rubbish job but are there because they have been there so long and contractors coming in some on £600 + a day some of whom are there for 18 months and leave not delivering what they are supposed to. I haven't been able to move up within my organisation because of a contractor in the post above.

I am really good at what I do but there are many people who are not.

If you are so good and better than the contractors, why are you still at your mind numbing slave job for 15 years ?
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I haven't been in the same job for 15 years. I have been PM for 5 years. I have been building up a portfolio of projects. So biding my time. Still frustrating mind you! Also where I live there are not as many opportunities as there are in larger cities. I have another post asking advice about agencies - I am handing in my notice next month!

Comment

Small fry!

JPMorgan Says Data Breach Affected 76 Million Households - Bloomberg Business

That's the way to do it.....

Comment

The thing about the NHS is that it is not one huge monolithic entity.

Individual Hospitals are effectivly independent businesses in their own right and they all have their own set of positives and negatives. Just because working in one was a nightmare doesnt mean working in another will be.

On top of that you have the central services like HSCIC (who will be all over this data breach like a rash. I know, I worked for the OpSec team there, they take this stuff very seriously).

Fundamentally this is a local problem and not an indication of the state of data security for the NHS as a whole. Whether somebody gets fired or not will be down to the local management of the Hospital involved, not NHS "Management" at the center, and like any corporate management function they may be good or they may be crap.

I'd be willing to put my day rate on it being a human error due to an individual not following correct process rather than a fundamental failing.

From the time I've spent working for the NHS I can say that there are some lazy time wasters, some political game players and vested intrests, some genuinely talented hardworkers and a whole load of perfectly normal people just trying to do their job. Just like any other organsiation.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                X