• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vendor died after exchange of contract .....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vendor died after exchange of contract .....

Just found the vendor of the place I was buying died on Monday, I exchanged contracts a few weeks back and due to complete next Tuesday. Only just found out on the off chance and solicitors now closed till the morning, looking on line it appears they need to issue probate before it can be sold now and that takes months if thats correct anyone else been in same situation ?

thanks
    I like big butts and I cannot lie.

No idea. Sounds like a bugger though.

Comment

You want the second paragraph in Practical Conveyancing - Death – of Seller .

Assuming they are organised next week looks impossible but early June is achievable....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Yeah, just spoken to my solicitor and this is going to be a complete mess, no way will they get probate in time. If I stay put in house they can sue me, if I move out I have to find somewhere litterally in a day or so to store stuff and live. Solicitor didnt fill me with confidence when he said 'this is the worst thing that could happen'

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
          Yeah, just spoken to my solicitor and this is going to be a complete mess, no way will they get probate in time. If I stay put in house they can sue me, if I move out I have to find somewhere litterally in a day or so to store stuff and live. Solicitor didnt fill me with confidence when he said 'this is the worst thing that could happen'
          Sounds like your best move is to assume you're homeless for a bit - get the storage sorted ASAP, then find a hotel to give you space to work out what to do. It may be that the family will let you move in (pay rent) until completion, but presumably they'll have to shift his stuff ... It is a pain, but remember they've lost someone they love and try and be patient.

Got family, or just you?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            You want the second paragraph in Practical Conveyancing - Death – of Seller .

Assuming they are organised next week looks impossible but early June is achievable....

Thanks for the link, so looks like they can speed it up so not all lost just means storage / hotel for a while, my completion date is actually Friday not Tuesday what a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
              Call you removal company as many will have storage facilities or be able to recommend one... I would also speak to your solicitor to see what they recommend but I think your best course of action will be to move out into limbo or a hotel while it gets sorted. Otherwise you will have to pay compensation to the person who is buying your property...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                Sounds like your best move is to assume you're homeless for a bit - get the storage sorted ASAP, then find a hotel to give you space to work out what to do. It may be that the family will let you move in (pay rent) until completion, but presumably they'll have to shift his stuff ... It is a pain, but remember they've lost someone they love and try and be patient.

Got family, or just you?
                Its me, misses 1 kid and 2 cats.

I'm hoping that they let me move in pay rent as you suggest but looking into storage, looks like they are legally bound to complete and pay any expenses I incur so not too bad. I was worried they would just pull out put house back on market get more £.

Agreed I understand they lost someone its sad for sure I don't want to add to there woo's.

Whats really annoyed me is the vendors solicitor claims they told mine on Monday, yet mine claims they only found out today, don't know who is telling the truth but my solicitors have been pretty sh*t to be honest so wouldnt be supprised as they tend to ignore emails and calls.
                Last edited by ELBBUBKUNPS; 20 May 2015, 18:55.

Comment

Vendor? WTF are you on about? Are you moving into a vending machine?

Comment

Suityyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X