• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hotel or house share

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotel or house share

Hi guys what do you prefer and why when staying away weekdays ?

Originally posted by eddie1507 View Post
    Hi guys what do you prefer and why when staying away weekdays ?
    I prefer house share as I can leave stuff over the weekend or stay over weekends if I chose, no living out of a suitcase syndrome. Most of the time when working away I rent in some format.

That said I'm 9 months into a weekly commute to Cardiff where I've used the same hotel for the vast majority of that, admittedly I'm only on site Tues/Weds/Thurs.

Comment

I flip between the two - but generally, I'd prefer a hotel if I can justify the cost.

Outside of London, once you take off the VAT (Cos I'm not flat rate) there's generally not much in it if you take off breakfast.

Comment

From my perspective cost isn't a real factor, I tend to stay in non-chain hotels when I do use hotels as they generally offer parking and usable internet access instead of the very limited options available at the likes of the Hilton.

The primary reason I prefer house shares is I find them generally more comfortable and homelike, I can also cook for myself which I like to have as an option.

Comment

Hotel for the first week in case it all goes tits up, then rent a room locally. Works out cheaper, more flexibility, can leave stuff there over the weekend, keep the bike there etc.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

House shares tend to be quieter than hotels.

Then again I do house shares where I only share with the one or two people, they aren't young and preferably work a different time to me.....
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Hotels.

Then I don't have to interact with anyone.
              Don't the receptionist(s) annoy you?

Don't you get into the lift and find other people there?

Comment

Customer service staff generally annoy me.

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                House shares tend to be quieter than hotels.

Then again I do house shares where I only share with the one or two people, they aren't young and preferably work a different time to me.....
                I think that's key to house sharing. It's fine if it's done on those grounds.

Comment

It depends

Hotel, to start with, or short term (< 3 months). Otherwise, if it's a long term contract then rent a flat/house/house share. Although pub with holiday apartments has been done before now.

Comment

Lift?

You think I stay in places with a lift?
                    Hotels have lifts to comply with the Equality Act. Some lifts are damn scary to use and it's safer to use the stairs.

The reception staff have been known to annoy me.

I was particularly irritated with the Travel Inn Cheltenham which cancelled my room reservation coz they didn't have a CC number.

Over the previous year I'd spent about £7 or 8k there.
                    "Computer says No" - Idiots.

Comment

Working...
                    X