• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sickness payment insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys just wondered who you guys use for the sickness payment insurance and ever had any experience of it paying out ? I'm always dubious about these insurances not to pay out.

Combination of plans. One to cover short term illness from day one another that kicks in after a year and index linked in case the wheels really come off the wagon. Talk to an IFA.

Comment

General isn't the best place to post serious questions....
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Have a dig through all these threads.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=si...spv=1&ie=UTF-8
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks boys

Comment

IPSE+
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              IPSE+
              That was a party political broadcast by the IPSE party.
              I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Another thing those living off the state don't have to worry about.

Family claims £147,000 a year in housing benefit for seven bedroom home - Telegraph

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Another thing those living off the state don't have to worry about.

Family claims £147,000 a year in housing benefit for seven bedroom home - Telegraph
                  Landlord of the house in question is probably an MP......
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by eddie1507 View Post
                    Hi guys just wondered who you guys use for the sickness payment insurance and ever had any experience of it paying out ? I'm always dubious about these insurances not to pay out.
                    I posted this last year and it should help answer your question:

Mine is with Scot Prov.

Income Protection taken through the right insurer is invaluable for the self employed as they do not have access to PAYE benefits such as sick pay. Essentially, a business could fold very quickly in the event of long term sickness.

I completely agree, that there are some unbelievably bad policies out there though. As always the fine print needs to be examined. Any policy that is not own an "Own Occupation" basis should not be taken up. "Worker tasks" policies will very rarely pay out on the basis that you can still work albeit in another job when sick - exclusions include not being able to wash and bathe yourself. Realistically, you are going to need to be in a very bad way to win your claim.

If you take up a policy, ask for guaranteed rates - you don't want your premium increasing because of the insurers claims that they have had throughout the year.

Finally, to ensure that your benefit is not eroded by inflation, make sure that your policiy is linked to the retail price index.

Comment

Working...
                    X