• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop recommendations

Looking to replace my laptop. Budget up to £1000.

Priorities..... in no particular order
    1. Long battery life.
    2. Processor peformance.
    3. 1GB ram min.
    4. XP Pro.
    5. Wireless and NIC.
    6. Durable (will be taken on trains, planes and automobiles!)

Not bothered about.....
    1. Sound cards.
    2. Screen size.
    3. Additional software like Office as I get that installed for free anyway.
    4. Anything to do with Gaming as I'm not interested.

Laptop weight isn't a big issue as long as its not over the top heavy!

Suggestions?

Does that £1000 include VAT?

I have ordered myself a nice alienware one that cost £1,162.82 excluding VAT. (If you are registered for VAT they don't even add it onto the price so you don't have to claim it back)

Quick rundown of specs:

Display: 15.4" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD with Clearview Technology
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional UK with SP2
    Processor: Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2400 1.83GHz 2MB Cache 667MHz FSB
    Memory: 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 512MB
    Video Card: 128MB ATI® Mobility™ Radeon® X1400
    System Drive: 80GB 7200 RPM SATA with NCQ
    CD/DVD/RW: DVD-Burner: 8x Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24x CD-RW Combo
    w/Software
    Sound Card: Intel® High-Definition Audio (24-bit, 192Khz) with surround
    sound
    Keypad: Mobile Keypad - English
    Communications: Integrated 10/1000Mb Gigabit Ethernet & 56K V.92 Modem
    Wireless Network Card: Internal Intel® PRO Wireless 3945 a/b/g Mini-Card

I paid extra for the high rez screen (I hate only seeing 5 lines of code on screen, high rez is the way to go) so take off some for the screen if you don't want rez that high.
    Last edited by Ardesco; 25 September 2006, 15:31.

Comment

I'm not knocking the laptop or you for that matter but if I was in a meeting and someone came in a plonked an alienware laptop on the table I would be thinking 'oh god this guy is going to be playing WoW in my time'.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Well alienware had the duo core chips and are also quite reasonably priced as well. it was either that or rockdirect but the high rez screens on the alienware ones is what sold it to me.

If you plonk your laptop down in a meeting you already have the contract anyway so htey should be able to tell how good you are by the standard of work you are delivering, i would say that by the time they see your laptop judgements based on what it is are neither here nor there.

Comment

Laptop envy is a terrible thing. Very New Labour.

Comment

www.apple.com ... use bootcamp to install XP
            Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Dell 9400 series ......... if you are SURE you will never need to call their support monkeys in India.

I've been very happy with mine.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
                www.apple.com ... use bootcamp to install XP
                That's the route I chose. Very happy with it.

Have a mac Mini and a MacBook Pro both running bootcamp with OS X and XP.

Well, actually have just deleted the OS X partition on the mini to claw back space leaving it an XP machine only.

I think some people used to PCs will have a bit of trouble with the Mac keyboard for a few days, but that's about the only downside.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

... deleted the OS X partition ...
                  May your fingers be eaten by rats and your eyes pecked out by jackdaws!

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper
                    May your fingers be eaten by rats and your eyes pecked out by jackdaws!
                    And may your dick shrivel and your conkers turn to mush

Well, I don't need OS X on the mini as it's just a Windows dev system running nothing much except VS.NET and Office apps all day long. I can always reinstall OS X if I want it - but more likely will just buy another mini to run OS X only.

My MacBook is normally booted into OS X, for Adobe CS2 and some admin stuff I need on the move.

Tried Parallels workstation, but I thought the performance was lousy - despite all the hype.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X