• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh the poor - by the Lovvies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh the poor - by the Lovvies

Alan Bennett says 'we treat the poor as badly as the Tudors did' | Daily Mail Online

We treat the poor as badly as the Tudors did, says Alan Bennett: Playwright speaks out as he discusses his new film
    Mary Shepherd lived outside his Notting Hill home in a van for 15 years
    Said a homeless person would be less welcome in the same street today
    Bennett's made comments as he spoke about The Lady in The Van
    The film is an adaptation of his play about Miss Shepherd starring Dame Maggie Smith

He said he had been Miss Sheppard’s ‘contact with normality’. Bennett worked at a desk in a bay window of his house which overlooked her van on the street. His work began to be affected when he saw youngsters teasing her so he suggested she move on to his front garden so he could get on with his work.

He said he remembered seeing Miss Sheppard during walks around the area in the 80s, when many ‘cultural titans’ lived locally.

Hytner said composer George Fenton ‘shudders in horror’ when Miss Sheppard’s name is mentioned and film director Stephen Frears said they ‘might just as well make a film about Goebbels’.

Miss Sheppard is described as being ‘to the right of UKIP’ in her political views.

exploit the poor moi?

poor woman is dead and yet he uses her to sell tickets - nice.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Alan Bennett says 'we treat the poor as badly as the Tudors did' | Daily Mail Online

exploit the poor moi?

poor woman is dead and yet he uses her to sell tickets - nice.

What the hell is wrong with some people. If someone wants to live in a van, or a cardboard box, or in a doorway that's up to them. Why do people insist on forcing their ideas of 'living on a house' to everyone. Bloody Tories.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I think he is a good egg for inviting the lady stay on his land. It probably didn't improve his view or environment particularly. Anybody here invited a homeless person to live in their house or garden?

Regarding the play, he probably wrote it to highlight her plight, rather than to make money. It's likely he has enough money already.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
        I think he is a good egg for inviting the lady stay on his land. It probably didn't improve his view or environment particularly. Anybody here invited a homeless person to live in their house or garden?
        No but I know a couple of households who do do this and am filled with admiration for them.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post

Regarding the play, he probably wrote it to highlight her plight, rather than to make money. It's likely he has enough money already.
          I've got 20 in my shed and for only 30 quid a week each.

Sasguru
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            I've got 20 in my shed and for only 30 quid a week each.

Sasguru
            Only 30 quid a week, the softie? He could be charging them £100 a week each!
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
            X