• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bummed by the Banks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bummed by the Banks

I was abroad earlier this month. I needed cash so drew 300 Euros out of the ATM thinking "Ahh, I might get stung for this". I did. A tenner charge. 2.5% charge from First Direct, plus 2.75% from Visa. It won't ruin me and as much as it's my own fault for not checking I do begrudge them hitting me quite that hard.

And just now I check my Cater Allen business account and see my invoice payment was done using the worst Euro->Sterling exchange rate in living history. I check with them and find they had mistakenly processed my invoice payment using the US dollar exchange rate. WTF?

Anyway. As you were.

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    I was abroad earlier this month. I needed cash so drew 300 Euros out of the ATM thinking "Ahh, I might get stung for this". I did. A tenner charge. 2.5% charge from First Direct, plus 2.75% from Visa. It won't ruin me and as much as it's my own fault for not checking I do begrudge them hitting me quite that hard.

And just now I check my Cater Allen business account and see my invoice payment was done using the worst Euro->Sterling exchange rate in living history. I check with them and find they had mistakenly processed my invoice payment using the US dollar exchange rate. WTF?

Anyway. As you were.
    I have a supercard.io card on its way and currently use a UKash prepaid euro debit card. 300 Euros on that would currently cost me £219.20.

If you don't pay attention to finding the cheapest way of exchanging money people will fleece you...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I have a supercard.io card on its way and currently use a UKash prepaid euro debit card. 300 Euros on that would currently cost me £219.20.

If you don't pay attention to finding the cheapest way of exchanging money people will fleece you...

With Euros at 1.41 to the pound has anyone taken a decision to open a Euro account somewhere and move some money over as an investment?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Bummed by the Banks

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        With Euros at 1.41 to the pound has anyone taken a decision to open a Euro account somewhere and move some money over as an investment?
        Good luck getting that. The current inter market rate is 1.39 (looking at the forex account). Will probably hit 1.42 next week however if Greece plays out as most expect
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Good luck getting that. The current inter market rate is 1.39 (looking at the forex account). Will probably hit 1.42 next week however if Greece plays out as most expect
          I thought there were certain brokers that you could get close to the daily rate? Was looking at property last night in Portugal. With the drop in prices a place I looked at a few years ago is now a good 25% cheaper. Assuming that this is the worse for the Euro, I was thinking of transferring a 100k into a Euro account

Comment

That's in pilot and is full (bummer). I use a Caxton FX Visa, easy to use, nice little app that allows instant load from a registered Debit card, no charges at the ATM in euroland.

got a holiday coming up at the end of June so i'm holding off the load to see what happens with the Grexit

Comment

It's a bit late in the day but I have opened a Euro business account as I'm being paid in Euros. I hope the currency exchange gods look kindly upon me.

Comment

I thought there were certain brokers that you could get close to the daily rate? Was looking at property last night in Portugal. With the drop in prices a place I looked at a few years ago is now a good 25% cheaper. Assuming that this is the worse for the Euro, I was thinking of transferring a 100k into a Euro account
                Dream on!
                I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
                  Dream on!
                  Which bit?

Comment

Halifax credit card is supposed to the best to use to pay for things when abroad. For drawing cash out, I think its Nationwide which is best.

Banks are very sneaky and so are mobile providers when you try to use them abroad.
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                    X