• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investment Disaster

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investment Disaster

When I was a young lad, (17 to be precise) I worked for the GPO.
    One day I was just about to go to the chippy for me and the gaffer, when he pulled over and nipped into the bookies.
    When he came out I asked him what it was all about and he told me he had put a fiver on a dead cert at 20-1.
    So naturally I spent me weeks dinner money and bus fare home, because I really needed that hundred quid.
    That horse is still running and for the rest of the week I starved and wore me shoes out walking home. It was the best thing that could have happened!
    I never ever had the urge to gamble, I became risk averse and I just wished the gaffer had taken me to the pub and got me a bad hangover because then I wouldn't be a boozer either.

that's by the by. A while back I stuck 10 k of my ISA allowance on a VERY high risk fund. The missus was furious, she made me promise never to be so stupid again and I agreed.
    It was out of character, I felt slightly ashamed and all capitalistical. I felt 'dirty'
    And now, disaster. The bastid money got taken out of me bank last week and the fund has been making a hundred quid a day.

I feel like a spiv
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

AER > 300%? You bought a share in Wonga?

I feel foolish now, my sample portfolio is only up 5%, plus a mere £90 odd in dividends.

Be sure to let us know when it all comes crashing down ...
    Last edited by pjclarke; 29 May 2015, 13:30.
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

If the value doubles in ten years
      I would rather see it plummet then perform brill in the last six months
      than perform brill then stay steady

if you see what I mean.
      keeps the temptation under wraps
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        One day I was just about to go to the chippy for me and the gaffer, when he pulled over and nipped into the bookies.
        When he came out I asked him what it was all about and he told me he had put a fiver on a dead cert at 20-1.
        So naturally I spent me weeks dinner money and bus fare home, because I really needed that hundred quid.
        That horse is still running and for the rest of the week I starved and wore me shoes out walking home. It was the best thing that could have happened!
        I never ever had the urge to gamble, I became risk averse and I just wished the gaffer had taken me to the pub and got me a bad hangover because then I wouldn't be a boozer either.

that's by the by. A while back I stuck 10 k of my ISA allowance on a VERY high risk fund. The missus was furious, she made me promise never to be so stupid again and I agreed.
        It was out of character, I felt slightly ashamed and all capitalistical. I felt 'dirty'
        And now, disaster. The bastid money got taken out of me bank last week and the fund has been making a hundred quid a day.

I feel like a spiv
        I do love your GPO stories, they have been a bit sparse lately.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I feel like a spiv
          MF wrong Sockie!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I feel like a spiv
            You're not cut out to be a dirty spekulant. Stick to nicking hub cubs and saying 'Alright, alright, alright' in a high pitched whiney voice.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
            X