• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Setting up a Barclays savings account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up a Barclays savings account

Was Barclays at lunchtime, aiming to open a savings account.

As a current account holder with them for some forty years, I assumed this would involve just filling in a form, which they would rubber stamp, and job done.

But apparently these days one must be interviewed by a personal banker, and none was available for more than a week.

So I told the cashier I would try a different bank, and walked out in a huff, although I have a horrible feeling all banks will be the same.

This must sound like one of EO's GPO stories ("We'll try and set up your telephone service within the next six months. What colour telephone receiver would you like sir?". "What colours do you have?". "Black". "Hmm, OK I'll take black."), except I suspect there are dozens of different kinds of savings accounts.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

As a current account holder with them for some forty years, I assumed this would involve just filling in a form, which they would rubber stamp, and job done.

But apparently these days one must be interviewed by a personal banker, and none was available for more than a week.

So I told the cashier I would try a different bank, and walked out in a huff, although I have a horrible feeling all banks will be the same.

This must sound like one of EO's GPO stories ("We'll try and set up your telephone service within the next six months. What colour telephone receiver would you like sir?". "What colours do you have?". "Black". "Hmm, OK I'll take black."), except I suspect there are dozens of different kinds of savings accounts.
    Yep all the same now. You have to take a psychometric test followed by an IQ test. Depending on how you score in both tests, they decide whether your a nutter and just need a basic account, or someone they can sell PPI to. Dirty spekulants.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Doesn't sound right, I opened savings accounts with Barclays online, you must look right dodgy.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
        Doesn't sound right, I opened savings accounts with Barclays online, you must look right dodgy.
        Same with TSB.
        I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Opened a new ISA at my home branch (not Barclays) was required to have a face to face meeting too. I assume it's laundering regulations or something.

Comment

Had a similar experience with HSBC. They wanted to a credit check and a money laundering check for a savings account. I was told it will take at least two weeks and I will have to come back for an interview.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

You're all obviously dodgy. I set up the savings account in about 2 minutes online.

Comment

Just log into your online backing and open an account that way, simples!
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Those 'just off the boat' with 'Refugee' or 'Asylum seeker' status can get a savings account from Metro Bank ...

"If you are unable to provide some of the documents we normally need for verification you can still apply for
                  our Cash Account and/or Savings Account products, and we’ll accept the following:

• Refugees: Immigration Status Document with
                  Residence Permit or an IND travel document.
                  Both need to be issued by the Home Office.

• Asylum seekers: IND Applicant Registration Card
                  (ARC) issued by the Home Office stating your eligibility
                  for employment in the UK.
                  "

Crazy man, crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
                    Those 'just off the boat' with 'Refugee' or 'Asylum seeker' status can get a savings account from Metro Bank ...

"If you are unable to provide some of the documents we normally need for verification you can still apply for
                    our Cash Account and/or Savings Account products, and we’ll accept the following:

• Refugees: Immigration Status Document with
                    Residence Permit or an IND travel document.
                    Both need to be issued by the Home Office.

• Asylum seekers: IND Applicant Registration Card
                    (ARC) issued by the Home Office stating your eligibility
                    for employment in the UK.
                    "

Crazy man, crazy.
                    You think it's crazy that banks accept identity documents issued by the government? Is it also crazy that they accept driving licences and passports?

Comment

Working...
                    X