• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have we done the Apple I in the recycling?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have we done the Apple I in the recycling?

If not, why not?

http://www.independent.ie/world-news...-31267227.html

A US recycling centre is looking for a woman who dropped off an old Apple computer that turned out to be worth 200,000 dollars (£130,000).

The computer was inside boxes of electronics that she had cleaned out from her garage after her husband died, said Victor Gichun, the vice president of Clean Bay Area, in California's Silicon Valley.

She did not want a tax receipt or leave her contact information, and it was not until a few weeks later that workers opened the boxes to discover a highly collectible Apple I computer inside.

The San Jose Mercury News reports it was one of only about 200 first-generation desktop computers assembled by Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak and Ron Wayne in 1976.

"We really couldn't believe our eyes. We thought it was fake," Mr Gichun told KNTV-TV.

The Milpitas-based recycling firm sold the Apple I for 200,000 dollars to a private collection, and because the company gives 50% of items sold back to the original owner, Mr Gichun said he wants to split the proceeds with the mystery donor.

He said he remembers what she looks like and is asking her to come back to claim her 100,000 dollar (£65,000) cheque.
    Press Association
    Last edited by zeitghost; 8 June 2017, 11:23.

Eeek, that's a lot of money for a mouldy old Apple.

Comment

Usual price for Apple stuff.

Comment

Working...
      X