• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there a future in development?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a future in development?

Rant from a SAP developer

Is there still a future in development? | SCN

Trying to find decent developers for £400/day to assist me in this Warehouse Project - bloody difficult.

Comment

Of course there is a future for development. It's just not the same as the present.

There was nothing at all in that article that hasn't been discussed at length on this forum over the last decade.

Comment

TL;DR: "Things aren't quite exactly the same as they used to be in my own very little corner of an extremely wide-ranging field, therefore everything is changed for everybody everywhere."

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post

There was nothing at all in that article that hasn't been discussed at length on this forum over the last decade.
          ^ This

Very disappointing read. Maybe the wheels are coming off the toot-toot SAP gravy train. Overpriced cack.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            Trying to find decent developers for £400/day to assist me in this Warehouse Project - bloody difficult.
            +1 15 years of offshoring has decimated this industry. Now demand is picking up rates are starting to boom
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
              My house earns more than that!

Comment

It was very much "My cosy little world is being threatened". And he's only just realised???? He had no balls .. using the term "My Geography" rather than saying what he meant which is : "I am a rich, middle class Westerner and my income is threatened by poor people in India".

For me the "debate" about outsourcing ( good or bad? Long term or Short term? ) was settled at least a decade ago. It is old, old news.

Much more interesting is the impact of SaaS, IaaS & PaaS on internal IT departments. My view is that it is going to completely gut them over the next decade in a way that they have not experienced and the biggest losers are going to be the Wipro's, TCS's and Infosys's of this world.

Get ready for the next IT revolution!

Comment

What's more worrying is graduate jobs for software developers seem to be around £20K a year. So they expect someone with a good academic brain to spend 3 years studying hard to get a good degree in science, IT, mathematics or similar, accumulate huge student debt and then earn £20k pa whilst paying eye watering taxes.

Menawhile the class thicky who left school at 16 and is now working in the building trade is earning twice that and has a good chunk of savings and no debt.

Why anyone "bright" would want to compete with someone in India for their pay and our costs/taxes is a bit of a mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    What's more worrying is graduate jobs for software developers seem to be around £20K a year. So they expect someone with a good academic brain to spend 3 years studying hard to get a good degree in science, IT, mathematics or similar, accumulate huge student debt and then earn £20k pa whilst paying eye watering taxes.

Menawhile the class thicky who left school at 16 and is now working in the building trade is earning twice that and has a good chunk of savings and no debt.

Why anyone "bright" would want to compete with someone in India for their pay and our costs/taxes is a bit of a mystery.
                    They don't. Having looked at the incoming graduates at this clientco and the apprentices at the previous one there is a world of difference. The apprentices are bright people, the graduates well the less said
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X