• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offered a move to permanent role - How do I deal with the agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offered a move to permanent role - How do I deal with the agency

I've been offered the opportunity to move into a permanent role from my current contract status. The client want to know if I can do it off books with the agency - i.e. resign and then take up the offer without involving the agency!

What levers are there that the agency, client or I can pull to smooth it over as I want to do this but don't want to **** up my reputation by doing something underhand.

Notwithstanding the outcry of why anyone would do this - I can only do the new role long term if I'm permanent as its a regulatory requirement otherwise I have to leave in 2 week - what are the legalities or moralities of making the change.

Background is I've been doing this role for 10 weeks covering for a stress/sick leave - having had a very senior person in the role the client have worked out that the reason the department was crap was the leader was crap - they now want a proper person in there role who can (continue) to make a difference and are prepared to pay for it.

Personally I'm near the end of my career - 18 years freelance and just turned 55 this would see me out until I retire - the money is just as good and benefits are better - life insurance, BUPA, car and lots of travel perks. I'd keep my war chest intact and just mothball the company as you never know.

So folks what are the things I need to look out for.

Originally posted by DijStra View Post
    I've been offered the opportunity to move into a permanent role from my current contract status. The client want to know if I can do it off books with the agency - i.e. resign and then take up the offer without involving the agency!

What levers are there that the agency, client or I can pull to smooth it over as I want to do this but don't want to **** up my reputation by doing something underhand.

Notwithstanding the outcry of why anyone would do this - I can only do the new role long term if I'm permanent as its a regulatory requirement otherwise I have to leave in 2 week - what are the legalities or moralities of making the change.

Background is I've been doing this role for 10 weeks covering for a stress/sick leave - having had a very senior person in the role the client have worked out that the reason the department was crap was the leader was crap - they now want a proper person in there role who can (continue) to make a difference and are prepared to pay for it.

Personally I'm near the end of my career - 18 years freelance and just turned 55 this would see me out until I retire - the money is just as good and benefits are better - life insurance, BUPA, car and lots of travel perks. I'd keep my war chest intact and just mothball the company as you never know.

This sounds more like MF bragging than somebody asking a question. So go on reveal yourself, who's socky are you and why are you pretending to ask a question?

Comment

Agent will have a 100% watertight contract with the client saying if you turn perm, they need to fork out 25%+ of 1st years salary , no wonder they want to keep it off books

But that's for agent and client to discuss if they find out

What does your contract say ?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
        This sounds more like MF bragging than somebody asking a question. So go on reveal yourself, who's socky are you and why are you pretending to ask a question?
        I don't know what MF stands for or what a socky is can you please elucidate?

Its a real question - I really have no idea how to deal with this.

Comment

How many contractors does the agency have at the site? If there are lots, the agency will not want to jeopardize the relationship.

If it is just you - what are the chances of the agency finding out?

Comment

Originally posted by DijStra View Post

This has been covered a number of times and basically depends on the client sweet talking the agency into accepting the change. Doing it by ignoring them is just going to cause a legal issues for both you and the end client where being upfront and providing potential inducements (say future contract work through them) may make it easier.

As for keeping the company it probably doesn't make much sense. Instead look at using an MVL to extract that war chest....
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
              Agent will have a 100% watertight contract with the client saying if you turn perm, they need to fork out 25%+ of 1st years salary , no wonder they want to keep it off books

But that's for agent and client to discuss if they find out

What does your contract say ?
              My contract doesn't have anything about this situation; as the client wanted someone at very short notice and it was only to be for few weeks I just got a Purchase Order for my time. Which was fine for 10 days and would have been fine for the max of 60 days - always the max it could be given the regulations - so I guess its up to the client to sort out with the agency.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                How many contractors does the agency have at the site? If there are lots, the agency will not want to jeopardize the relationship.

If it is just you - what are the chances of the agency finding out?
                I don't know and quite high as I have a number of connections to the agents though this is the first placement Ilv done with them.

Comment

To be honest if this is a longterm "dream" role, accept it and sort out the cr*p later. If you are going perm, there is no legitimate interest for the agency to protect. i.e. you're not "stealing" a contract, this is a perm job.

I don't really think this is a problem. If anything a problem between the agency and the client.

If possible let the current contract expire before signing the perm contract. I would try and do that so you can argue you were out of contract when you signed.

If this is a major client of the agency, they'll do nothing. They won't fight a client which makes them a lot of money.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 2 June 2015, 13:44.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    If this is a major client of the agency, they'll do nothing. They won't fight a client which makes them a lot of money.
                    Most contracts have a clause that means you can't return to the client within 12 months of end of contract.

Comment

Working...
                    X