• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Collateral Damage - NHS and Agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collateral Damage - NHS and Agencies

Looks like there is another campaign about the cut agencies are getting, talks about a cap (although I thought there was a framework anyway)

Anyone expecting a knee-jerk reaction to come round and bite us on the arse?!

Sanctions target 'rip-off' NHS temps - BBC News
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

The axing of nurses at the start of the last parliament, plus the top-down re-organisation of the NHS which needed management consultants to come in has absolutely nothing to do with the problem - it's all the agencies and the nurses fault.

Just remember that.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      The axing of nurses at the start of the last parliament, plus the top-down re-organisation of the NHS which needed management consultants to come in has absolutely nothing to do with the problem - it's all the agencies and the nurses fault.

Just remember that.
      Yeah I read somewhere that the senior nurses who were laid off are the ones most in demand to teach the student's and newly qualified what they should be doing, so can charge the highest in daily rates which obviosuly means more cut for the pimps.

I would not be surpised if they tried to bring in a flat fee for agencies, how long till someone say's it costs the same to process the paper work on a £160 a day contract than a £3000 a day contract
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Yeah I read somewhere that the senior nurses who were laid off are the ones most in demand to teach the student's and newly qualified what they should be doing, so can charge the highest in daily rates which obviosuly means more cut for the pimps.

I would not be surpised if they tried to bring in a flat fee for agencies, how long till someone say's it costs the same to process the paper work on a £160 a day contract than a £3000 a day contract
        There is already a procurement framework in place for all this, the problem is that it's not enforced and many Trusts don't use it cos the agencies don't which means they can charge more.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

£2200 for one 12 hour shift is nowhere near normal. Wifes a nurse. Rates are good but not as good as you'd think.

£3700 for a doctor for 30 hours - not excessive IMHO. Same as some of you top earners.

Thing is employ more nurses and doctors and you wont have to use agency. But to suggest people are ripping off the nhs is a bit rich.

I did an nhs contract a few years ago. Crap rate. Only did it for 3 months but the manager was a top guy. Still in touch now. Hes just can't get people - contract or perm because of limitations - so things suffer and they cant cope so patient care suffers.

No good moaning about it though - its the way of the world - you've got to shell out unfortunately.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Possibly I will be attacked but I never really understood the requirement for all Nurses to be graduates.

I'm perfectly happy to believe that with experience some may want to retrain or gain a degree later but lets be honest if you were a graduate and you were offered an nice comfy office job 9-5 or cleaning up someones fluids all night for £21K which would you choose? In the City that is hardly a decent wage.

Seems reasonable to limit agency cut to < 10% and increase Bank wages to cut out Agencies long term.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              Possibly I will be attacked but I never really understood the requirement for all Nurses to be graduates.
              Agreed. Why does a nurse need a degree? Personally I would like to be looked after by someone who actually cares, degree or not. It's compassion that has been missing from nursing in all the recent scandals, not degrees. And what would the degree be in? Chemistry ? Somehow I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Possibly I will be attacked but I never really understood the requirement for all Nurses to be graduates..
                The Royal College of Nursing pushed for it, as they want nursing to be a graduate profession. What this has meant is that a those people who want to become a nurse as a vocation, yet are not academically inclined have to be healthcare assistants. It's also meant that the caring side of nursing has suffered - with a greater proportion of people doing it as a job, rather than vocation. Hence the lack of compassion scandals.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                  Agreed. Why does a nurse need a degree? Personally I would like to be looked after by someone who actually cares, degree or not. It's compassion that has been missing from nursing in all the recent scandals, not degrees. And what would the degree be in? Chemistry ? Somehow I doubt it.
                  Are they not graduates in Nursing? I don't think this is the same requirement for a 'degree' as occurs in general IT employment where the actual nature of the degree is usually disregarded.

I believe nursing degrees were introduced to raise standards (and pay rates/status) for the profession. Unfortunately, many vocationally motivated people do not seek or make the grade so they get the lowlier jobs and are superseded by nurses from abroad who have better academic qualifications.

Good example of the law of unintended consequences.
                  Last edited by Taita; 2 June 2015, 16:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Taita View Post
                    are superseded by nurses from abroad who have purchased better academic qualifications.

Good example of the law of unintended consequences.
                    FTFY
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X