• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Case Studies Needed - Lying on CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Case Studies Needed - Lying on CV

Hi

I am a freelance journalist and I am researching an article about lying on your CV. I noticed in another part of the forum that you brought up this subject and I wondered if anybody would be prepared to talk to me about it in the strictest confidence.

Have any of you ever lied on your CV and had a job offer or contract withdrawn as a result of it, or been dismissed? If so, I would love to talk to you. Any details would be changed for the article so you can be certain that you won't be found out.

Please PM me if you can help.

Thanks for taking the time to read this message.

Nicky

I have never lied on my CV, but I did once strangle and murder a prostitute and buried her in a shallow grave.

Does that count?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
      I have never lied on my CV, but I did once strangle and murder a prostitute and buried her in a shallow grave.

Does that count?
      Three-Hole Dolls don't count.

But you could be done for littering I suppsose

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I am the Texas Chainsaw Murderer. Please send me £250K and I'll give you details of this exclusive scoop.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

I don't (never have and never will) lie on my resume either. All it does is make you look like a complete t*ss*r when you go to a gig and haven't got a clue about anything after telling the management you are gods gift (Also makes them look stupid).

You are likely to get thrown out or screw your reputation up big time and I personally value my reputation too much to sully it with blatent lies on my resume. Lets face it who is going to want to hire you if you have a reputation of being a lying scumbag that doesn't know what he's talking about??

The sad thing is that there are agents out there that tell you to modify your CV to make you more appealing to the end client, and i'm sure that a lot of the kids who have just jumped into the industry because they have heard there is lots of money floating around that do what the agents te;; them. All this does is give contractors in general a bad reputation.

Most amusing liar I have ever met is a NT4 system admin with an MCSE who didn't know that you had to dcpromo a box to make it a domain controller, didn't know the difference between a kvm switch and a network swtich, and cut up an led case connector to get it to fit on a mobo because it didn't fit where he wanted it to fit, suffice to say he fried the mobo nicely...

Comment

Originally posted by Nicky P
            Hi

I am a freelance journalist and I am researching an article about lying on your CV. I noticed in another part of the forum that you brought up this subject and I wondered if anybody would be prepared to talk to me about it in the strictest confidence.

Have any of you ever lied on your CV and had a job offer or contract withdrawn as a result of it, or been dismissed? If so, I would love to talk to you. Any details would be changed for the article so you can be certain that you won't be found out.

Nicky
            Never lied on my CV and I am capable of doing all the technologies listed on it.

It's worth noting however that some things a client does actually encourages lying on a CV. Asking for 6 months of a technology days after it is launched. Clients tend to confuse the technology with the result. So someone who wants reports will insist on the minimum requirements for say SQL Server Reporting Services. Or people will insist that you cannot do ASP.Net (Web Pages) because you did WinForms (desktop appklications), or they will say you are incapable of doing a console application (ie does not need windows etc).

Such absurdities actually encourages lying on a CV.

Experienced developers however will be able to adapt

Comment

I never lied on my CV.

threaded.

Comment

I never lie.

Comment

Depends what the lie is. I've moved a few dates to cover up a short fallow period on my CV. I tend only to put on things which I know pretty well.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicky P
                    Hi

Nicky
                    You are Nicky from HR upstairs; I claim my £5
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X