• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have male clothing sizes become more flattering over the last 30 years?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have male clothing sizes become more flattering over the last 30 years?

Having lost some weight over the last few years, I've gone from 34" waist to having to wear a belt with 32" jeans.

I saw some 70s trousers on t'web which would work for a vintage party but they are listed as 30" and I have no idea if 30" back then means the same as 30" now, and if I have any chance of squeezing into them!

Anyone? Yes I know, hardly the cutting edge debate CUKg is known for...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Depends on the brand tbh, clothes targetting the 40 years old plus market tend to be a bit more forgiving vs. a brand targetting 20-somethings.
    I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

No idea - these are genuine vintage plaid trousers which I guess would've been worn by cool young men (though it's hard to believe this isn't some sort of joke!)

Comment

Y fronts certainly aren't what they used to be!

Jeremy Paxman
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

MF has gone from a 36 to a 48 - entirely due to changes in clothing size...

Comment

Are you seriously asking if 30" in the 70s is different from 30" today?

Comment

My main bugbear with modern clothes is that gents' shirts are way too short, which means one must spent a fortune on made-to-measure shirts.

Shirt tails used to come down to one's knees; but these days you're lucky if they cover your belly button!

And, no, before anyone asks, I'm not that overweight.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                Men's inches are different to women's inches, apparently.
                I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Lol.

humblebrag - definition of humblebrag in English from the Oxford dictionary

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                    I've definitely heard that it's quite common for trousers to flatter the wearer "look I'm a 34" in these!" so yes, I wondered if there had been an inflationary effect. I measured my waist as 34" today but my 32" jeans are too big.

Comment

Working...
                    X