• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving in Russia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving in Russia

Mad. Screeching brakes and near misses common, cars parked in stupid places, cars weaving to either change lanes or avoid a pothole - you just don't know, and the daft way that in certain places where the central lines are broken, you can perform a legal U-turn - into three to four lanes of fast moving on-coming traffic.

Now the skill here is to judge which oncoming lane is the slowest/least occupied/has a decent gap and can I get to it. Literally an hour ago, snapped this chap who got it wrong.....

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Mad. Screeching brakes and near misses common, cars parked in stupid places, cars weaving to either change lanes or avoid a pothole - you just don't know, and the daft way that in certain places where the central lines are broken, you can perform a legal U-turn - into three to four lanes of fast moving on-coming traffic.

Now the skill here is to judge which oncoming lane is the slowest/least occupied/has a decent gap and can I get to it. Literally an hour ago, snapped this chap who got it wrong.....

I'd be more worried about the tanks.

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

There is a series on All4 called the "Worlds most dangerous.." Apparently there is a tunnel in Russia where everyone just crashes.

They put cameras in the tunnel and all you see is random vehicles skidding and sliding then crashing into the walls or in coming traffic.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        There is a series on All4 called the "Worlds most dangerous.." Apparently there is a tunnel in Russia where everyone just crashes.

They put cameras in the tunnel and all you see is random vehicles skidding and sliding then crashing into the walls or in coming traffic.
        That's in Moscow, under the Moscow River, it leaks and forms ice in the tunnel, YouTube Tunnel' smerti, tunnel of death (genitive case)...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          That's in Moscow, under the Moscow River, it leaks and forms ice in the tunnel, YouTube Tunnel' smerti, tunnel of death (genitive case)...
          The engineer who designed it was claiming that there was no ice in the tunnel and people were just being stupid dangerous Russian drivers

There as the Western narrator stated that people were probably skidding on black ice due to how cold it gets......

Anyway I hope you have dash cams - you may make some money from youtube.

Comment

It was well worth the risk, if it had paid off he could have saved himself 5 minutes.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              I'd be more worried about the tanks.

Watch out of for these signs:

I'm alright Jack

Comment

I can't believe they have so many of these:

Anyway at least it explains how safe it is to cross the road on foot at 4.16 and 4.38.....

Comment

Read while ago that "crash for cash" is common in Russia, even more common than Birmingham/Bradford here (ahem). Get yourself a dashcam.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Read while ago that "crash for cash" is common in Russia, even more common than Birmingham/Bradford here (ahem). Get yourself a dashcam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c8uZf1KBqg
                    Last edited by Paddy; 6 June 2015, 13:01.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X