• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Impossible maths question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impossible maths question

How to solve Hannah's Sweets: a former GCSE maths teacher (and Ukip MEP) explains - Telegraph

Took me 5 seconds. And I'm thick.

I think the problem was in the way the question was phrased, which may have thrown a lot of kids.
    It's really quite a simple question.
    Not up to the difficulty of the 'cannon and the inclined plain' from my GCSE days.

Comment

That may have helped. Actually, seriously, I think that programming experience would help a lot. The question is simple if you start with everything that you know, proceed to the required result without too much impatient faffing, and don't be tempted to try to solve anything that you don't have to solve. Most of our work is like that.

Comment

Isn't the question simply : Prove that: n^2-n-90=0 ?

n^2-n = 90
        n has to be a small number bigger than 9, and 11 is too big.

So using 10 it all works.

What's all the sweets about?

**edit** never mind. I'm not sure I think the question makes sense. Then again, it's been a long time.
        Last edited by SpontaneousOrder; 5 June 2015, 23:27.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post

n^2-n = 90

**edit** never mind. I'm not sure I think the question makes sense. Then again, it's been a long time.
          I couldn't see how it would be possible to misunderstand the question completely. Thanks for helping me out.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            I couldn't see how it would be possible to misunderstand the question completely. Thanks for helping me out.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post

n^2-n = 90

The question isn't What's n? It's to show the proof that the equation is correct. I don't remember doing any proof type stuff at O level, but it was a few years ago.

Comment

MF has three steak and kidney pies and six plates. If all are divided equally, how much pie will MF share?
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

To paraphrase the article

When adults on the internet are telling everyone how they solved Hannah's sweets in under 4 minutes

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

You didn't show your workings out. 0/5

Comment

Working...
                    X