• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help - Put Filled Up With Petrol Not Diesel - Worried !!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - Put Filled Up With Petrol Not Diesel - Worried !!!

Yep 50 quids worth of petrol instead of diesel without concentrating and drove 2 miles before I realised - feel like a total d*ck, but what do I need to now ?

Should I contact my manufacturer customer assistance or should I speak to my local garage that I normally use first ? Is putting that much wrong fuel + 2 miles driving a massive problem ?

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Yep 50 quids worth of petrol instead of diesel without concentrating and drove 2 miles before I realised - feel like a total d*ck, but what do I need to now ?

Should I contact my manufacturer customer assistance or should I speak to my local garage that I normally use first ? Is putting that much wrong fuel + 2 miles driving a massive problem ?
    I don't know, but I do know as an RAC member that if I call the breakdown line, option 1 is "wrong fuel".

So I would guess that it's fixable, but counts as a breakdown. If it were me I wouldn't drive any more until I got the answer. However YMMV!

Comment

According to the RAC, this happens

What happens if you put petrol in a diesel car?
      Putting petrol in your diesel car will damage your fuel pump if not dealt with immediately. In diesel cars, the main fuel pump uses the diesel fuel flowing through it for lubrication. However, when you put petrol fuel in, the mix of petrol in diesel acts as a solvent, reducing lubrication and quickly causing damage to the pump as the metal parts come into contact and rub together. Other parts of the fuel system which might not be compatible with petrol, can also be damaged.

Switching on your car’s ignition will circulate this mix of petrol in diesel through your fuel system, causing further contamination to other components..

Ultimately, if left for too long this could mean that the entire fuel system requires costly repairs, or replacing completely!

Are you with a breakdown service like the AA or RAC? If so phone them.

Comment

It's going to cost you at least £300 to get pumped out and filters flushed even if you have AA
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Green card do it for free otherwise http://www.fueldoctoruk.co.uk are about the cheapest
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Oh dear. What a terrible mistake. Imagine buying a diesel car.
            World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post

2 miles is no real problem. I did the same when the fuel station used a black nozzle for petrol which was covered with a black sticky advert for a VW Golf. I drove 30 miles and wondered why I was loosing power. No damage was done and the car went on for another 100,000. Total mileage on the car when laid up was 320,000.

In an emergency add 50% veg oil to the petrol, it will be thin enough for direct injection and it will get you home.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                It's going to cost you at least £300 to get pumped out and filters flushed especially if you have AA
                FTFY. Apparent there are much cheaper options than the AA.

First time I did this, the car conked out 500 yards down the road.
                Second time I just put about a fiver's worth in before I realised. I was able to "drown" the petrol by filling with diesel. Some blue smoke but no £300 charge this time.

Comment

Now that's funny, because I managed to put ten quids worth of diesel into my motorbike yesterday. I even got annoyed that the nozzle wouldn't fit properly!

I drained it out into a fire bucket!

Comment

As for the thread - if it's fairly concentrated, petrol in a modern diesel can be exceptionally bad news as the high pressure components are reliant on the lubricating properties of diesel. Definitely don't run the car again until you sort it.

Your normal garage should be as good as any - can't imagine the manufacturer being overly interested unless you enjoy paying dealer rates.

Comment

Working...
                    X