• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strategy for Winders 10?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy for Winders 10?

Yeah, I know this should be in technical, but this is the only forum here I read, and if I put it elsewhere I'll only forget...

Anyway... I see the new Win 10 free upgrade icon in my system tray (currently running Win 7).

Do I:

a) Reserve my upgrade for this machine

b) Wait until I can get a new machine with 10 preinstalled.

c) Wait until the first big patch release and get a new machine with 10.1 preinstalled.

d) Ask AndyW's mum what I should do.

Being only a Thick Tester, I don't want to have to do anything clever or technical...

I tend to go for full risk on these things and just install them. No serious issues yet, if there are someone will flag it and things usually get patched up pretty quickly.

Of course IT is full of people who are so risk averse they're still using XP...
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

I'll probably wait a few months to see if some of the early bugs get ironed out. Still on 7 here, didn't like the look and feel of 8 at all so not really looking forward to it. If I build myself a new box in the next 12 months (nothing wrong with the computer I have now, it's 4 years old now so maybe getting a little long in the tooth) I'll get Win10 OEM or whatever at the time.
      • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
      • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
        ... course IT is full of people who are so risk averse they're still using XP...
        And thereby exposing themselves to all kinds of vulnerabilities that will never be patched.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Windoze 10

If your not wanting to go down the beta test route, then stay away until it's officially released.

10130 has just been deployed, and again there's more issues; like the Start button & icon don't work, networking doesn't work either. After about 5 releases I'm about done with it, I'm going back to the Metro tiled UI Windoze 8.1. Having a 23 inch touch screen, it's works like a large tablet, so all the apps show across the screen, rather than a silly list on the left hand side. Then there's the old style Settings, with the new style Control Panel. You can't change the Wifi network key from the Wifi icon anymore, it has to be done in Network settings. Then there's the...now where's me backup drive?

There's always the Office 2016 Beta to have a go at.

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
            Yeah, I know this should be in technical, but this is the only forum here I read, and if I put it elsewhere I'll only forget...

Anyway...

Being only a Thick Tester, I don't want to have to do anything clever or technical...
            Yeah, thick enough not to put it in technical and subscribe to the thread.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

<obligatory fanbois post>

Get a Mac.

</obligatory fanbois post>
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                <obligatory fanbois post>

Get a Mac.

</obligatory fanbois post>
                Will a Mac have Windows 10 pre installed then?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  FTFY
                  3.11? What's this workgroups thing about then?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    3.11? What's this workgroups thing about then?
                    Isn't it just a gem ripoff
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X