• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to make property more affordable for the young?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make property more affordable for the young?

If we want to make property affordable to the young, it's time to bite the bullet and raise interest rates - Telegraph

Clearly raising interest rates would hit the young hardest!

There needs to be a removal of expenses offset(particularly mortgage) on BTL income.

A tax on property - 1% for main homes and 10% for second homes.

HTH

If you want to spend all day dreaming up new taxes to punitively attack different sections of the economy, join the Labour party.

HTH BIDI

Comment

PS

Plenty of jobs and affordable homes in places like New Zealand. If young people can't see the opportunity and the life they could live there, they deserve a £400K debt round their necks for a bedsit in Luton.

Comment

I am all for taxing second properties and BTL but the horse has bolted. Raising rates is a bad idea, the economy can't handle it. We have 5-10 more years of ultra low rates.

But what I really think the gov needs to sop doing is HTB interventions which have done nothing but perpetuate the bubble.

Prices are bonkers, and god help the young. Not that boomers give a tulip. But then they only think about themselves.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          I am all for taxing second properties and BTL but the horse has bolted. Raising rates is a bad idea, the economy can't handle it. We have 5-10 more years of ultra low rates.

But what I really think the gov needs to sop doing is HTB interventions which have done nothing but perpetuate the bubble.

Prices are bonkers, and god help the young. Not that boomers give a tulip. But then they only think about themselves.
          Boomers have expensive lifestyles to pay for. Exclusive golf club fees, holiday homes in Provence, and new premium German saloons to buy. You leave them alone. Plus they all vote Tory, so they are alright by me.

Comment

WHy would the tories really give a tulip about the young?

They don't vote and are not as rich as the eton brigade.

The only party which cares about our society equally is the Labour party, problem is there are too many self centred like Dimshrimp around who couldn't give two flying ducks about their neighbour

Comment

This country is fvcked
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                If you want to spend all day dreaming up new taxes to punitively attack different sections of the economy, join the Labour party.

HTH BIDI
                What the evil Tory capitalist says.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MercladUK View Post
                  WHy would the tories really give a tulip about the young?

They don't vote and are not as rich as the eton brigade.

The only party which cares about our society equally is the Labour party, problem is there are too many self centred like Dimshrimp around who couldn't give two flying ducks about their neighbour

The what party? They still exist,I thought they imploded when Wallace and Gromit got feck all votes.

Comment

I'm all for taxing BTL more to free up supply, I know 3 people who have around 25 BTL between them ... and to them the fact that FTB can't get on the ladder makes them smile ... BTL imo is one of the biggest issues in London.
                    I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Working...
                    X