• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At the garage...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the garage...

For new tyres.

They tell me the discs and pads need doing too.

Why do discs need to be replaced? Am I being ripped off?

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    For new tyres.

That depends on whether you've managed to significantly wear / damage your disks or not.

If it's Kwik Fit it's probably a lie.

Comment

Tyre pros

Comment

These places are renowned for "upselling", especially to women who are less likely to check it needs doing.

Just say, thanks, I will take it to my usual garage who does all my servicing for a quote, if you are cheaper, I will be back.

Comment

Disks do eventually wear out but be careful they're not taking the piss. Get them to show you.

Disks need replacing when they are visibly marked, pitted, etc. Like a CD with grooves in it

Trouble is if you stick new pads on a crap disk it'll just chew up the pads.

I had a Kia Sedona once. Nationwide garages fitted new disks - two weeks later pads gone, disks have warped. So they changed them. Same again. Blamed me for driving it too hard with new disks - its a 7 seater family "bus" FFS! In the end, had to kick off with head office -refunded the lot in the end and got disks for me from dealer for free.

Morale of the story - make sure decent disks are fitted or its major hassle.
          Last edited by psychocandy; 9 June 2015, 13:38.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            For new tyres.

Because as a woman, you probably drive with your brakes on most of the time.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Is there a topless calendar there? You can't trust them if not

Comment

Discs don't warp. They just don't.
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I have a limited time slot, so just getting them to do it. They said there's a ridge at the edge. Hey ho...

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                    Is there a topless calendar there? You can't trust them if not
                    Can't see one...

Comment

Working...
                    X