• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which PM Methodology?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which PM Methodology?

Settled into new gig now, and I try to learn a new skill while working away to kill time, given this gig they have made me a PM rather than what I through I was applying for I thought I might as well get a new qualification out of it too.

Options are:
    • Prince2: Seems to be the defacto methodology at Govt or Defence organisations, including this gig
    • AgilePM: Most of my expereinces lately have been Agile (Kanban specifically) or at least tried to be

I know Prince2 now do an Agile bolt on, and AgilePM has "Prince2 intergration", and both will do the same job when it comes to enhancing the foundation I already have from just simply working on projects, but seeing as I have always stated I don't want to be a PM (I want to try and move into a Service Transition role rather than a doer of hands on stuff).

Anyone got a experience as to which is better or worse? Or any other recomendations as to what PM course is best suited for those who don't actually want to be a PM, but want to know how to work with them without the use of a mallet
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Settled into new gig now, and I try to learn a new skill while working away to kill time, given this gig they have made me a PM rather than what I through I was applying for I thought I might as well get a new qualification out of it too.

Options are:
    • Prince2: Seems to be the defacto methodology at Govt or Defence organisations, including this gig
    • AgilePM: Most of my expereinces lately have been Agile (Kanban specifically) or at least tried to be

I know Prince2 now do an Agile bolt on, and AgilePM has "Prince2 intergration", and both will do the same job when it comes to enhancing the foundation I already have from just simply working on projects, but seeing as I have always stated I don't want to be a PM (I want to try and move into a Service Transition role rather than a doer of hands on stuff).

Anyone got a experience as to which is better or worse? Or any other recomendations as to what PM course is best suited for those who don't actually want to be a PM, but want to know how to work with them without the use of a mallet
    Prince 2 gives you the ability to understand what all the paperwork is for.

Agile is the latest buzz word.

Personally I would suggest my forthcoming book on The Panic Methodology. This is designed to reflect the practical management of projects rather than the ideal theory other methodologies favour...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I suspect these days you need both. Agile works well in dynamic environments such as external user facing sites or user acceptance testing but any programme of work has to site inside a defined structure. So use Prince to work out what has to be delivered, when and for how much and then agile to deliver the individual projects within that framework.

You can use Prince all the way down (hence waterfall) although it gets really clumsy on smaller projects, but you can't realistically use agile all the way up.

Incidentally, transition has to work within a set process environment, there are too many risk factors to do otherwise. Agile is NBG for that kind of work
      Last edited by malvolio; 9 June 2015, 09:45.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Where i am is Agile - with quarterly deployment scheduled - ha ha ha

Its the future, until you ask the vendors

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Personally I would suggest my forthcoming book on The Panic Methodology. This is designed to reflect the practical management of projects rather than the ideal theory other methodologies favour...
          I look forward to the followup - "Making Headless Chickens Look Organised"

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            I suspect these days you need both. Agile works well in dynamic environments such as external user facing sites or user acceptance testing but any programme of work has to site inside a defined structure. So use Prince to work out what has to be delivered, when and for how much and then agile to deliver the individual projects within that framework.

You can use Prince all the way down (hence waterfall) although it gets really clumsy on smaller projects, but you can't realistically use agile all the way up.

Incidentally, transition has to work within a set process environment, there are too many risk factors to do otherwise. Agile is NBG for that kind of work
            That is what I am seeing, more structured Prince working at the Portfoilio / Programmes level, with Agile Projects delivering it.

Which I think just answered my own question as I have been, and want to continue working at the Programme/Portfoilio level rather than the individual Project level

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

That is what I am seeing, more structured Prince working at the Portfoilio / Programmes level, with Agile Projects delivering it.

Which I think just answered my own question as I have been, and want to continue working at the Programme/Portfoilio level rather than the individual Project level
              Yep prince covers the big picture, agile covers the nitty gritty detail of things like resource allocation

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Prince 2 gives you the ability to understand what all the paperwork is for.

Agile is the latest buzz word.

Can we pre-order?
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  Can we pre-order?
                  If its anything like the CUK Cookbook we will be waiting a long time

Comment

If its anything like the CUK Cookbook we will be waiting a long time
                    I currently have free time on my schedule between 8am to 4pm so plenty of time to look busy at the moment....

Comment

Working...
                    X