• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spare time and none of it etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spare time and none of it etc

Decent gig but the commute is long (Albeit on the train) at 90 mins+ each way.

Consequently, I'm up at the crack, home not too early. Get home and have to deal with the kids for a bit. Then I'm too knackered for anything else except slumping on the sofa.

Weekends then too short....

Not helped by fact that dear wife has got long term illness so its tough for her during the week when Im away 12-13 hours each day.

Could be worse - could be away mon-fri I guess.

Unfortunately, probably no WFH ever for this gig - would make a huge difference for me. On 3rd extension now, and its likely to run and run, but I think theres going to be a time when I'd hope to get something closer/some WFH.

Bit step to take because it is a decent gig/decent rate.....

And yes NCOTBAC lol
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

A perennial problem. I have been mon-fri for 2 years now. Weekend = unpack, bit of business admin, laundry, couple of beers, too short. It's okay for a while but not 2 years.

Comment

I did 15 months of a 1:40 each way train journey (+ 30m local travel at one end) & yes it hurts!

I just went extension by extension (its only for 13 weeks......)

Lessons learned were 1. bunk off early on a Friday if you can ( a few of us caught the same train at 15:40 so had a warm carling on the train....and meant I got back at a reasonable time), 2. Get as much stuff done during the week as possible - housework, admin, ironing etc so that weekends are as free as possible.

Comment

Do you work to live or live to work?

I guess with you its the latter, but shirley you have been contracting long enough now to have sufficent warchest for you to be choosey in which gigs you take? I negotiated 5 days over 4, so long days but it means I am home on a Friday
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          Do you work to live or live to work?

I guess with you its the latter, but shirley you have been contracting long enough now to have sufficent warchest for you to be choosey in which gigs you take? I negotiated 5 days over 4, so long days but it means I am home on a Friday
          Surely things like extended hours depends on the client. We both know you could negotiate it at previous clientco at this one you wouldn't have a pray of getting it...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Surely things like extended hours depends on the client. We both know you could negotiate it at previous clientco at this one you wouldn't have a pray of getting it...
            More depends on the role, with PC he has previously mentioned shifts and rotas so I assume he is 2/3rd line support contractor so harder to get the flexibility, the more hands off you are the greater the flexibility you can have.

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
              A perennial problem. I have been mon-fri for 2 years now. Weekend = unpack, bit of business admin, laundry, couple of beers, too short. It's okay for a while but not 2 years.
              Can imagine thats worse. All well and good doing for the money but I'd be tempted to bail once the warchest was good.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                More depends on the role, with PC he has previously mentioned shifts and rotas so I assume he is 2/3rd line support contractor so harder to get the flexibility, the more hands off you are the greater the flexibility you can have.
                Yep correct. 3rd line mun ;-)

Not the most IR35 friendly of course also. Some clients are OK but some do want you there on site all the time unfortunately.

Yes been contracting for a while. Warchest was very good a few years ago but a spell on the bench, followed by a really low paid gig dented it severely. Also, came out of permiedom 4 years ago now with some hefty CC debts (£25K).

More recently, wife has been off work. Been on half pay for a number of months now - still £500 a month less coming in - shortly that will be zero - so £1000 a month less. All adds up.
                Last edited by psychocandy; 10 June 2015, 08:35.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Yep correct. 3rd line mun ;-)

Not the most IR35 friendly of course also. Some clients are OK but some do want you there on site all the time unfortunately.
                  Get a real contract then, are you 3rd line for life or are you a Technical Architect

Comment

Originally posted by kettlebellBA View Post
                    I did 15 months of a 1:40 each way train journey (+ 30m local travel at one end) & yes it hurts!

I just went extension by extension (its only for 13 weeks......)

Lessons learned were 1. bunk off early on a Friday if you can ( a few of us caught the same train at 15:40 so had a warm carling on the train....and meant I got back at a reasonable time), 2. Get as much stuff done during the week as possible - housework, admin, ironing etc so that weekends are as free as possible.
                    Thinking about - its about 1-40 door to door for me but every min makes a difference if its every day.... Unfortunately, no early on friday possible.

Same as you - go 3 month at a time. Each time I think - hmm three months of money. Not so bad in the summer but come Nov/Dec then I'm going to really have to decide what Im going to do.

A lot will depend on how good the warchest is looking/wifes work situation.

Comment

Working...
                    X