• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile phones

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile phones

I quite like my ancient phone. It works for making calls and doesn't have a particularly annoying ringtone.

Orange seem very keen on giving me a new one with a camera, radio and video thingy. If I say yes, is it OK to just flog it on ebay and carry on with the old one or will they come around and report me to John Reid for not being "wiv da kids"?

Originally posted by PRC1964
    I quite like my ancient phone. It works for making calls and doesn't have a particularly annoying ringtone.

Orange seem very keen on giving me a new one with a camera, radio and video thingy. If I say yes, is it OK to just flog it on ebay and carry on with the old one or will they come around and report me to John Reid for not being "wiv da kids"?
    Well the nice phone IU upgraded does MP3's which means

a) I don't have to pay a small fortune to some bloke to provide me some horrible sound which reminds one of personal computer sound circa 1980. I raid my own CD Collection and use that.

b) I currently have the original Monty Norman/John Barry version of the James Bond Theme as a ringtone.

Comment

Orange SPV 600 with 2 GB MiniSD

Comment

I've got myself an M500, all the swankyness of a PDA but half the size

Comment

I have a Bosch 509e from 1998 I think and have no intention of changing it. I have a particularly sweet deal with Orange and I don't want to wake them up.

if you take the new phone as part of a deal with Orange, it's likely to remain their property although if you stay with them for years, probably won't matter.

Comment

How is your russian wife rabbit?

Comment

I've got the sony ericsson k800i. I quite like it although I have 3 gripes with it

1 - different memory card size to my old w800
              2 - No torch on the phone. I never thought I'd use it but I did.
              3 - Not great battery life. Perhaps that is why the torch bit is missing

I was given a couple of tips for getting a good deal while I worked at o2.

1 is is to shop around and play off the big providers. Then on the last Saturday of the month go into Phones 4 U and get them to beat your best offer. Apparantly the targest each shop has to hit are that extreme that they will do anything to hit them, even if it makes them a loss on that particulare deal.

Also, when asking for a phone. Don't be fooled by the 'Oh I have one of those and they are really good' line. They don't. What they mean is if they shift a sh1tload of old Nokias then they are in line for a holiday - probably becuase they have a new Nokia just about to be launched. Don't ask about anything subjective, go for cold hard cash. The tack to use is what is the most expensive phone you can get for free.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Have you charged it?
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I just bought a Motorola L6 from O2 for £80 on PAYG, because i'm a cheap arse. It does bluetooth though which is good because it syncs to the mac then, has reasonable camera (good enough to take photos of the car when I leave it somewhere with potentially bad parking consequences).

Those SPVs are total rubbish. I had an E200 and an M500. Clunky bastards. Windows CE should not be allowed on mobile phones.
                  Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
                    I just bought a Motorola L6 from O2 for £80 on PAYG, because i'm a cheap arse. It does bluetooth though which is good because it syncs to the mac then, has reasonable camera (good enough to take photos of the car when I leave it somewhere with potentially bad parking consequences).

Those SPVs are total rubbish. I had an E200 and an M500. Clunky bastards. Windows CE should not be allowed on mobile phones.
                    I've had 3, a 500, 550, and now the 600 - no problems with any of them.

Much better than carrying an organiser and a phone.

Sorry you've had such a bad experience with yours. Operator error?

Comment

Working...
                    X